Covid-19 Coronavirus

Ukrainian arrivals to the IOM FAQs

Frequently asked questions for Ukrainian nationals arriving in the Isle of Man.

Запитання щодо прибуття українців до Острову Мен. - "натисніть тут"

If you do need to contact us about your registered interest, or help completing the online form, you can either email us at or call us on +44 1624 642500 - Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

What immigration status, right to work and access to public services and benefits will the guest get?

The guest will be granted leave to remain in the Isle of Man for up to 3 years. Guests will have the right to work and access to benefits and public services – including healthcare, schooling (including state schools).

Can I bring my pet cat or dog to the Isle of Man from Ukraine?

When travelling with your pet, the rules you must follow depend on the country you are going to or coming from.

As it stands there is no direct way to bring your pet to the Isle of Man from the Ukraine. Instead, you, or an agreed person, must first arrange to bring the cat or dog to Great Britain (England, Scotland or Wales) from an EU country first

There are different rules on pet travel into Northern Ireland.

On arrival, your pet might be quarantined (for up to four months) while it is being checked over for things like rabies, but once it is back in free circulation in Great Britain, you can arrange your onward journey to the Island with no further action needed.

What do I need to do?

If you’re planning this trip, you should contact the UK Government’s Animal and Plant Health Agency, by calling +44 3000 200 301 (option 2) or emailing team will help to organise an import licence and any quarantine arrangements for your pet.

A step-by-step guide is available so you can see what the process involves, but you should start by checking if your pet cat or dog;

  1. has been microchipped
  2. has a pet passport or health certificate
  3. has been vaccinated against rabies - it will also need a blood test if you’re travelling from an country that is not ‘listed’

Dogs must also usually have a tapeworm treatment.

If you have any questions about your pet living on the Isle of Man feel free to call the Department of Environment Food and Agriculture’s Animal Health team on +44 1624 685844 or email

Petplan are offering 1 year's free insurance to Ukrainian families bringing their pets to the Isle of Man via the Government's Homes for Ukraine scheme. This will help ensure pets can access the veterinary care they need, and remove the worry of veterinary bills for the first year

If you are hosting a Ukrainian family and their pet, and you would like to find out more about the support that's available, please contact Petplan on 0330 057 3662.

What happens if I arrive on the Island and have no access to money?

Once you arrive on the Isle of Man, you will be able to obtain financial assistance that same day (even if you don’t have access to a bank account). However, there are a few forms that will need completing first and someone from each office will be happy to help you complete these.

If you will require a translator, please get in touch with the Ukraine Support Team via email at 

Step One:

In the first instance, please go to the Public Counter at the Income Tax Division (address below). Please take with you your travel documents that enabled you to arrive in the Isle of Man and one form of official identification. Here you will receive support with filling out relevant forms, in order to obtain your National Insurance number which will be processed then and there and is needed to claim benefits.

Address: Income Tax Division, Government Offices, Bucks Road, Douglas, IM1 3TX (Contact Number – +44 1624 685400) (Opening hours 0900 – 1730 Monday to Thursday and Friday 0900 – 1700)

Step Two:

Please then head to the Benefits office at Markwell House (this is a 5 minutes' walk from the Tax office) where you will be issued with a cheque equal to the value of your benefit entitlement.)

Address: Benefits Office, Markwell House, Market Street, Douglas, IM1 2RZ (Contact Number – +44 1624 685656) (Opening hours 0900 – 1300 Monday to Friday)

Step Three:

Please then take this cheque to a Post Office with some form of identification, and they will exchange your cheque for cash.

Address: Nearest Post Office: 60 Strand Street, Douglas, Isle of Man IM1 2EL (Contact Number – +44 1624 686141) (Opening hours 0900 – 1700 Monday to Friday)

How do I go about opening a bank account in the Isle of Man?

The main Banks in the Isle of Man are: HSBC, The Isle of Man Bank, Lloyds, Barclays and Santander.

Please attend one of the relevant bank branches and the staff will be supportive in helping you set up an account.

To open an account, you will need to present proof of identification – namely an official ID card or a passport, and proof of your new address in the Isle of Man.

Proof of address can be obtained at the tax office on Bucks Road once you have registered for tax purposes (this registration, along with the proof of address will be presented to you there and then).

As an Isle of Man Employer, am I able to employ a Ukrainian National on Island, who does not have a work permit?

Yes, all guests from Ukraine coming to the Island under the government scheme will have the right to work without a work permit. The individual will need to supply their employer with a National Insurance Number and a Tax Reference Number (which they can obtain by attending the Income Tax Office at Government Office with their Immigration document and a proof of identification).

What do I need to know about paying tax?

The Income Tax Division often receive queries in regards to tax, how it works and what happens if you have a second job. You can find out more information on their starting or leaving a job page

How do I go about accessing healthcare?

It is important that you register for health care services as soon as possible. If you would like support to do this please visit us at:

Primary Health Services,
Crookall House,
Demesne Road,

Between 10-4pm Monday – Friday


Call – +44 1624 642694 or Email -

A member of the team will be able to register you for a doctor and add you to the list for the NHS Dental Service. Once you have registered with the GP (Doctor’s) Practice they will be in contact to provide you with an appointment for a New Patient Medical.

How do I go about accessing education for my children?

There is no rush to register your child(ren) for school. However, when you are ready please contact: Susan Rossouw (Tel) +44 7624 473 414 at the Department of Education, Sport, and Culture to enrol your child(ren) at a school near to where you live.

The Department of Education, Sport and Culture will then work with the Head Teacher to assist with registration and to ensure that your children are well supported in their transition. 

There are also a number of free 'Learn English online Courses' for adults and Children. Please see below links:

What telecom services are available on the Island?

The Island uses the UK’s international dial code (+44). The Isle of Man has its own set of Telecoms service providers. These providers are listed below:

Manx Telecom - Have set-up a dedicated welcome team for guests from Ukraine based at Manx Telecom’s store in Stand Street, Douglas. Guests can have a private conversation in a room set aside in the store so that the Manx Telecom team can understand your immediate and longer term connectivity needs.

Sure – Sure are welcoming guests from Ukraine at their shop on Strand Street in Douglas where staff will be available to assist with your questions and requirements.

Can I drive on the Island?

You must have a licence to drive your vehicle on Island and you should ensure your vehicle is safe to drive.

Do I have to take a Manx Road Test?

There is no longer a requirement to take a driving test on Island if you have a licence, however this remains under review. Any changes made to this rule will be clearly communicated to you.

Biometrics ID

Individuals in the Isle of Man who are applying for further leave under the Isle of Man Homes for Ukraine Scheme are not required to give biometrics as it is not a requirement for the Isle of Man Immigration Service to do so. Following the successful application of the Isle of Man Homes for Ukraine Scheme, a Biometric ID (also known as BRP - Biometric Residence Permit) will not be received as the Isle of Man Immigration Service do not issue BRP's in any circumstance, including the Ukraine routes. Instead, individuals can obtain a stamp in their passports to allow them to travel.

If you wish to move from the Isle of Man to the United Kingdom you should query this with the United Kingdom as you may then be required to give biometrics.

We are aware that the permission to travel letters, that many individuals arriving on-island will hold, states that you must attend a Biometric Appointment and collect within 6 months. However this is only a requirement for applicants to the UK Ukraine Schemes. Individuals under the Isle of Man Ukraine Scheme can safely ignore this part of the letter.

Back to top