Adopted Planning Policy documents
There are a number of statutory development plans which make up the Island Development Plan. The intention is for this ′Development Plan′ to be made up of an Isle of Man Strategic Plan and one or more Area Plans. The framework is currently made up of:
- The Isle of Man Strategic Plan 2016
- The Area Plan for the South
- The Area Plan for the East
- The 1982 Development Plan
- A number of Local and Area Plans
In time, the 1982 Plan and the remaining Local Plans will be replaced entirely by Area Plans. All statutory Plans are approved by Tynwald. Further information on the Island Development plan, can be found the Development Plan webpage.
Planning Policy Statements and Circulars
In addition, the circulars set out below remain in-force:
- 4/89 - Bulk Liquefied Petrolium Gas Installations
- 7/89 - Shop Fronts
- 8/89 - Low Density Housing in Parkland
- 3/91 – Guide to the Design of Residential Development in the Countryside
- 1/92 - Manx Hedges
- 1/93 - Landscape Guidance Notes
- 1/98 - The Alteration and Replacement of Windows
Very occasionally the Department will determine that there is a need to release land for development ahead of the preparation of an Area Plan. In order to do this a Development Order is prepared. The DOs which are in force are available from the the Planning & Building Control Legislation page.
Other Policy Work
In addition to the above, the following have been published and remain in-force.
- Interim Policy Guidance for Key Town Centre Sites in Douglas 2014
- Victoria Road Devlopment Brief 2014
- Peel East Quay Design Guide 2006
- Douglas Town Centre Masterplan
Further to the Interim Policy Guidance, which was adopted at a Departmental Level, the more recent and more detailed Douglas Town Centre Masterplan was produced. This later document builds on the guidance and has been adopted by Tynwald.