Isle of Man Government
Reiltys Ellan Vannin
Isle of Man Government Crest


Isle of Man Government Office of Fair Trading

Frequently Asked Questions

Q Is it safe to shop on the Internet?
AYes if you follow our tips at Internet Shopping.
Q I have a complaint against my financial services provider - what can I do ?
AContact the provider and attempt to resolve the matter through their internal complaints process. If this fails, contact the Financial Services Ombudsman Scheme which is a free and independent dispute resolution service for individuals with financial services complaints which the firm has been unable to resolve.
Q How can I get my money back for goods which I don’t like now I have them at home?
AYou cannot get your money back just because you have changed your mind about them, but if the goods are not up to the standard described by the shopkeeper, they are poorly made or they do not work properly you will have some redress. Your rights.
Q Do I need special licences to trade on the Isle of Man if I reside off-island?

If you are intending to sell any goods to the public you will need a Non-Resident Traders (NRT) Licence.

Depending on the type of goods, you may need additional licences for example if you intend to sell age-classified videos, that is those marked 12, 15 and 18 you will need a Video Suppliers Registration Certificate.

If you intend to go door-to-door buying antiques and bric-a-brac you will need to apply for a Chapmen's Licence

If you are selling food you may need to contact Environmental Health and if you are importing certain types of food to the IoM you will need to contact The Department of Environment, Food & Agriculture.

If you intend to trade from the public highway you will need a Street Traders Licence

Q Are the laws affecting the consumer different in the Isle of Man than the UK?

In general laws on the IoM mirror those in the UK but there are significant differences in certain items of legislation.

Of particular importance to the consumer are differences in our Consumer Credit legislation, various aspects of weights & measures such as 1/5gill (28.35ml) instead of 25ml spirits measure and metrication is not compulsory.

For specific details of legislation that may affect you in your business or leisure on the IoM please contact our office by letter, telephone, fax or email with your enquiry and we will advise you appropriately.

Q Is your Timeshare Act different from that in the UK?

Yes, our Timeshare Act requires a cooling-off period of 10 days rather than 14 days and the taking of deposits is allowed.

It is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure their payments are made to the stakeholder indicated on the sales contract. The stakeholder must refund the payment less a maximum of £150 if the contract is cancelled within the cooling-off period.

Q I live off-island. Can you help me with a problem I have on the Isle of Man?

Yes, under certain circumstances. Please contact our office by letter, telephone, fax or email with details of your complaint and we will advise you on your best course of action.

Q How do I sue a company or individual on the Isle of Man?

If the amount in dispute is less than £10,000 then our small claims court can be used. If the disputed amount is above £10,000 you will need to instruct an advocate. Leaflets advising on the small claims process can be found in our Consumer Publications Index.

Q I paid an IOM Trader for some goods/services which have since gone wrong. What's the first thing I should do?
A Contact the trader, explain and ask them to put the matter right. More advice can be found in our leaflets check out your rights or you can phone us on 686500 or email us.
Q I live on the Isle of Man but am having problems with a United Kingdom trader, can you help?
AWe can only offer limited advice as any cause of action you may have is likely to be through the United Kingdom courts where we have no jurisdiction.
Q I am worried that my landlord is not looking after the property I rent but I don't have anywhere else to go. What can I do?
AOur leaflets on Tenancy may help you. If you are still worried phone us on 686500 or email us.

If you have any other questions you can contact us by letter, telephone, fax or email

Terms & Conditions©2018 Crown Copyright