Cold Callers Offering Insurance Cover for Satellite TV Systems
The Office of Fair Trading continues to be contacted by consumers concerned by ‘phone calls they have received from cold callers offering insurance cover for satellite TV systems.
The callers suggest that consumers need to take out further insurance cover as the cover they previously had has run out.
The Office offers the following advice to consumers receiving cold calls during which they may be asked to provide financial details:-
- The first thing you should do if approached by a caller in this manner is to advise them that you do not wish to make an immediate decision. Ask if you can contact them should you decide to take up their offer.
- Check any existing policy you may have. Has the insurance cover run out?
- Find out if you are covered under your home insurance policy.
- Do you really need the insurance cover? What is the likely cost of repairing or replacing your system? Check with local installers/repairers to find out what they would charge. You may find that a new system will not cost you much more that the annual insurance premium quoted.
- Do not provide any financial details until you have taken the above steps and decided to accept the offer - in particular your credit or debit card details as these transactions can be difficult to cancel with your Bank.
Chairman of the Office of Fair Trading Quintin Gill MHK advises "There is no doubt that many consumers feel intimidated by cold callers. Our advice is that you should not accept offers under such circumstances, particularly if you are asked to provide your financial details. Shop around and get quotations from local service providers. Make sure you understand the terms and conditions offered and exactly what services are to be provided. You may find it very difficult to obtain redress should the need arise as the cold callers are generally not based in the Island. Our Consumer Advisors can offer appropriate advice if you are contacted by a cold caller and we will continue to liaise with the appropriate authorities in the UK."
Remember you can reduce the number of telesales calls you receive by registering with the Telephone Preference Service at www.tpsonline.org.uk or by calling 0845 0700707.