Cold Callers Offering Insurance Cover for Satellite TV Systems
Since a previous media release on the subject in early December last year, the Office of Fair Trading has been contacted by a significant number of consumers concerned by ‘phone calls they have received from cold callers offering insurance cover for satellite TV systems.
The callers suggest that consumers need to take out further insurance cover as the cover they previously had has run out.
The Office reiterates the sound advice offered in the previous media release to consumers receiving cold calls during which they may be asked to provide financial details:-
- The first thing you should do if approached by a caller in this manner is to advise them that you do not wish to make an immediate decision. Ask if you can contact them should you decide to take up their offer.
- Check any existing policy you may have. Has the insurance cover run out?
- Find out if you are covered under your home insurance policy.
- Do you really need the insurance cover? What is the likely cost of repairing or replacing your system? Check with local installers/repairers to find out what they would charge. You may find that a new system will not cost you much more that the annual insurance premium quoted.
- Do not provide any financial details until you have taken the above steps and decided to accept the offer.
Chairman of the Office of Fair Trading Quintin Gill MHK advises "We have been contacted by a significant number of consumers concerning cold callers offering insurance cover for satellite TV systems. Many consumers feel intimidated by cold callers. Please don’t accept offers under such circumstances immediately. Shop around and get quotations from local service providers. Make sure you understand the terms and conditions offered and exactly what services are to be provided. Don’t be pushed into something until you’ve had a chance to think it through and be very wary of supplying your financial details over the ‘phone if you have any concerns whatsoever. Bear in mind that you may find it very difficult to obtain compensation should the need arise after you have agreed to accept any offer over the ‘phone, particularly if the caller is not based in the Island. Our Consumer Advisers can offer appropriate advice if you are contacted by a cold caller and we will continue to liaise with the appropriate authorities if we have any concerns about any particular cold calling operation."