A series of hands-on workshops are being held this weekend as part of the 2018 Year of Our Island celebration – and the public are being invited to sign-up, take part and get creative.
Ten workshops are being staged this Saturday and Sunday 19 and 20 May covering skills such as photography, writing and illustration.
It’s all part of this month’s 2018 Year of Our Island theme celebrating the Isle of Man’s flare for innovation and creativity.
The Isle of Man has long enjoyed a strong creative community and has been home to many artists, artisans, entrepreneurs and innovators.
Also part of this month’s events is an exhibition of work by UCM alumni at the Sayle Gallery titled ‘Inspiring Another Generation’. Running until Sunday 20 May, the exhibition has more than 60 examples of work produced for the creative industries including film, animation, fashion, graphics, advertising, painting, design, craft, jewellery and sculpture.
Juan Moore, Artist and Lecturer at UCM, said:
'If you are interested in the impact of living and being educated in the Isle of Man and seeing some of the fantastic creative talent progressing from our University College, then this exhibition is not to be missed.'
2018 Year of Our Island will also feature at this week’s ISLEXPO with Manx-born art-duo id-iom – brothers Hugo and Sholto Brown – in attendance to create some live art that shares their creativity and view of the Isle of Man. The team will also be engaging with ISLEXPO visitors in some interactive art, encouraging people to share what they find special about the Isle of Man.
Saturday 19 May
- Beginners Photography Workshop – with Steve Babb (Ballakermeen Studio Theatre, 9.30am - 12.30pm, £5 per person)
- Creative Writing Workshop – with Elizabeth Brooks (Santon Professional Development Centre, 10 - 11am, £5 per person)
- Creative Writing Workshop – with Elizabeth Brooks (Santon Professional Development Centre, 11.30am - 12.30pm, £5 per person)
- Intermediate Photography Workshop – with Steve Babb (Ballakermeen Studio Theatre, 1 - 4pm, £5 per person)
- Illustration Workshop (‘Knit’ your own Viking Utopia) – with Alice Quayle (Santon Professional Development Centre, 5 - 6pm, £5 per person)
Sunday 20 May
- Photography and Lightroom Workshop (Making your Landscapes Pop!) – with Steve Meadows (Ballakermeen Studio Theatre, 9.30 - 10.30am, £6 per person)
- Beginners Toy Sewing Workshop – with Quinn Shipton (Santon Professional Development Centre, 12 - 4pm, £18 per person – all materials included)
- Felt Sewing Workshop (Happy Cactus) – with Reap What You Sew (Santon Professional Development Centre, 2 - 5pm, £10 per person – all materials included)
- Beginners Outdoor Photography Workshop – with Steve Babb (Silverdale Glen, 2 - 5pm, free of charge)
- Life Drawing Workshop – with Isle of Man Drawing Club (Santon Professional Development Centre, 6 - 8pm, £10 per person)
During May 2018 Year of Our Island has also proudly supported the Isle of Man Art Festival, which showcases the Island’s fine-art work across a range of venues, as well as the inaugural Oie Voaldyn – the Manx May Fire Festival which celebrates the eve of May Day.
Chair of the 2018 Year of Our Island Political Board, Chris Thomas MHK, said:
'May continues to brim with exciting opportunities for people to get involved and share, indulge and develop their creative skills. I hope people seize the chance to get involved and celebrate another aspect of what makes the Isle of Man such a special place to live and work.'