Work Permit Committee
The Work Permit Committee operates under delegated powers of the Minister. It consists of a chairperson and two other members and has a wide knowledge of employment matters. The Committee considers applications for work permits in any of the following circumstances:
- where there may be an actual or reasonably perceived conflict of interest if an officer of the Department were to determine the application;
- where the person concerned falls within section 10 (criminal records) of the Act which deals with certain unspent criminal convictions etc. (see further at Criminal Records; (however, an officer may deal with other cases which are outside section 10);
- where the Department has received representations from a person who objects to a permit being granted and who, if it were granted, would be entitled to appeal to the Work Permit Appeal Tribunal;
- where, exceptionally, the wider fiscal costs of the person concerned or any relevant persons might need to be considered;
- where an officer of the Department reasonably considers that the application should be dealt with by the Committee.
The Committee also deals with cases of revocation.