Under section 10 of the Control of Employment Act 2014 special rules apply where a person has been convicted of an offence and sentenced (anywhere in the world) to a term of custody where;
- the sentence is excluded from rehabilitation by section 2 of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 2001 (e.g. custody for a term exceeding 30 months);
- the conviction is not a "spent" conviction for the purposes of that Act; or
- the employment in question is excluded from the operation of that Act (e.g. doctors, accountants).
Any such conviction will be taken into consideration by the Department when determining an application for a permit
In addition a person with any such conviction:
- may not rely upon any exemption or temporary exemption; and
- is not eligible for a spouse/civil partner permit.
However, an application for an ordinary work permit can still be made.
Further information on the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 2001 can be obtained here or from the Department of Home Affairs.
88 Woodbourne Road
Isle of Man
+44 1624 694305
Page last updated: 6 October 2015