Employment (Persons with a Disability) Scheme
This scheme is administered by the Disability Employment Service, operating within the Employment and Skills Group of the Department of Economic Development.
The purpose of the Scheme is to provide a wide range of assistance in order for those persons affected by a disability to both find and retain gainful employment. All cases are considered on their own individual merits.
Am I eligible for support?
To be eligible you must be:
- Aged 16 or over, an Isle of Man resident and an Isle of Man Worker (or holder of a relevant work permit)
- In need of special assistance to obtain or retain employment as a result of disability, ill health or some other disadvantage
- Willing to work for at least 8 hours per week in such employment that is expected to last for more than 26 weeks
What assistance can the scheme provide?
The type and level of assistance will vary considerably dependent on a range of factors, however, support may include:
- Needs and ability assessment
- Temporary Counselling / Mentoring
- Training or education to address needs
- Work Trials / Placements
- Help in seeking employment
- The provision of aids or equipment which would not ordinarily be required for those without a disability or suffering from ill-health
- Alterations to premises, or adaptations to equipment to enable employment
- Help in transport to and from work
Assistance to any qualifying individual may not exceed £10,000 over any period of 3 years from the date of the first amount of assistance.
For further information contact:
Isle of Man
+44 1624 686209 or +44 1624 687021