The Isle of Man prides itself on its values of democracy, good government and the importance of the rule of law. The judiciary is a key component of delivering these values and to the Island’s international reputation.
Applications are invited from on and off-Island candidates for the position of Second Deemster. This is a Crown appointment made by Her Majesty The Queen pursuant to section 3A of the High Court Act 1991.
The Second Deemster will be responsible for preparing for the trial of cases assigned to him or her, for the management of such cases, and for presiding over court proceedings and giving judgment. From time to time the Second Deemster will also be required to sit in the Appeal Division with the Judge of Appeal.
The Second Deemster will also be responsible for administration, ceremonial and other duties assigned to the Second Deemster by the First Deemster. The Second Deemster shall exercise the functions which attach to the office of First Deemster and Clerk of the Rolls whenever the person holding the office of First Deemster is absent, or is otherwise unable to act on account of illness or for any other cause whatsoever or the office of First Deemster is vacant. This may include fulfilling the role of Deputy Lieutenant Governor, acting for His Excellency the Lieutenant Governor, in the absence of the First Deemster.
The Second Deemster will hold office at the pleasure of Her Majesty. The appointment will be on the advice of a Selection Panel. Candidates for this position must meet the following criteria:
- A qualified advocate, barrister or solicitor of at least 10 years standing.
- Relevant judicial experience either in the Isle of Man or elsewhere within the British Isles for a minimum of 3 years prior to taking up office
- A comprehensive knowledge and understanding of Manx Law or an ability and commitment to gain such knowledge.
- A comprehensive knowledge of the Rules of the High Court of Justice of the Isle of Man and of court practice and procedure or an ability and commitment to gain such knowledge.
- A high level of professional attainment in the areas of law in which they have been engaged.
Further information about the post can be obtained from:
the First Deemster Designate,
His Honour Deemster Corlett,
Isle of Man Courts of Justice,
Telephone No: 01624 686425
Applications should be marked ‘In Confidence’ and sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is anticipated that interviews will be held in the week commencing 15 October 2018.
The closing date for applications is 7 September 2018 at 5pm.