Travelling with pets

Pet travel to the UK after Brexit

Please view the information from DEFRA UK about possible changes to pet travel to and from the EU after Brexit:

Import control

Travelling from the UK to the Isle of Man

Most dogs, cats and ferrets may travel freely between the Isle of Man and the UK (Scotland, England, Wales & Northern Ireland).

However, certain breeds and species of dog are prohibited from importation (for example: Pit Bull Terrier types, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino and Fila Braziliero). Please see the Wild Animals Act on the import and export page for further information.

All tortoises require CITES permits, a UK export permit and an IOM import permit, unless moving back and forth on a Personal Ownership Certificate. Please see Import and export of exotic animals and endangered species for further information.

Travelling within the EU

The PET scheme enables pet dogs, cats or ferrets entry, or return to the UK, from EU countries without quarantine. Once in free circulation within the UK they can travel to the Isle of Man without further certification (except see above re: banned breeds).

Your private Veterinary Surgeon has details of the PET scheme and issues the passports and initial contact should be made with them. The PET Scheme currently involves microchipping, Rabies vaccination, worm treatment and in some cases, blood testing. 

You may leave, enter or re-enter the UK to or from an EU state 21 days after the rabies primary vaccine course is completed (dogs must be 12 weeks of age before their first Rabies vaccination). You can travel immediately after a Rabies booster vaccination.

A Vet must treat your dog for tapeworm and record it in the pet passport every time you want to bring it into the UK. The treatment must have been given no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours (5 days) before you enter the UK. Your dog can be refused entry or put into quarantine if you don’t follow this rule.

You don’t need to treat your dog for tapeworm if you’re coming directly to the UK from Finland, Ireland, Malta or Norway, but you do from all other EU countries.

The treatment must:

  • be approved for use in the country it’s being given in;
  • contain praziquantel or an equivalent proven to be effective against the Echinococcus multilocularis tapeworm.

Please see Bringing your pet dog, cat or ferret to the UK for more information.

It is a good idea to get dogs treated for ticks before they come home – we advise you to discuss tick treatment with your Isle of Man vet before you go.

Further details can be found on the DEFRA website or by contacting the PETS Helpline on 0870 241 1710.

Pet animals cannot be landed directly from an EU country to the Isle of Man by private air transport or private boat.  If travelling by air, pet animals can only land in the Isle of Man via a DEFRA & DEFA approved pet transporter. If in doubt, please contact DEFA Agriculture on +44 1624 685844 or email:

Although the Pet Passport allows your pet to travel with you on holiday, you must be aware of the disease and climate risks.

Caution: your pet can still contract other diseases whilst abroad. Most blood-borne diseases are spread by flies / ticks, for example Hepatozoonosis, Ehrlichiosis, Leishmaniasis, Heartworm or Babesiosis. Your pet will have no immunity to these diseases. Please talk to your vet about minimising the risk to your animal.

Travelling to the Isle of Man from Non-EU Countries

Dogs, cats and ferrets are prohibited from importation directly into the Isle of Man. They must travel through a UK Border Inspection Post (BIP) first. Once in free circulation in the UK they can then travel onwards to the Isle of Man. Please contact DEFRA (DEFRA website) to organise importation into the UK from non-EU countries..

If in doubt, please contact DEFA Agriculture on +44 1624 685844 or email:

Export to Non-EU Countries

If you are planning to travel to a non-EU country you should contact your private Veterinary Surgeon who will supply an application form for your completion.

Forward your completed form to:

Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture

Thie Slieau Whallian

Foxdale Road

St John's

Isle of Man


Email:Send Email

Once DEFA receives your completed application, processing of the specific export certification will begin. Details of the requirements for your specific export will be sent to your Veterinary Surgeon who will arrange the appropriate appointments with you. Please allow at least 6 weeks for your export procedure as some countries require blood tests, vaccinations, or treatments in the Isle of Man before your animal can be consigned. Some countries require Rabies vaccine 6 months before travel.