uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Travelling with pets

Import control

Dogs, Cats and Ferrets - UK

Most dogs, cats and ferrets may travel between the Isle of Man and the United Kingdom without export certificates.

However, certain breeds and species of dog (for example, Pit Bull Terrier types, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino and Fila Braziliero) are prohibited from importation. Please see the import and export page for further information.

Regulations and restrictions apply to the import of these animals through the UK and onward to the Isle of Man.

Tortoises - UK

All tortoises require CITES permits, a UK export permit and an IoM import permit, unless moving back and forth on a Personal Ownership Certificate. Please see Import and export of exotic animals and endangered species for further information.

Travelling within the European Union (EU)

The PET scheme enables pet dogs, cats or ferrets, entry, or return to Britain, from certain overseas destinations (mainly EU countries) without quarantine.

Your Veterinary Surgeon has details of the scheme and issues the passports and initial contact should be made with them.

The PET Scheme currently involves microchipping, Rabies vaccination and in some cases, blood testing. 

The routine requirement for blood testing after rabies vaccine is no longer generally required when travelling from EU and other listed countries.

Dogs must be 12 weeks of age before their rabies vaccine and cannot travel for a further 21 days. Owners are advised to ensure their pets are protected against insect attack whilst away from the UK. Your vet will advise you on this.

You may leave, enter or re-enter the UK to or from an EU state 21 days after the rabies primary vaccine course is completed. You can travel immediately after a rabies booster vaccination.

Tapeworm treatment in dogs is also required in the overseas country before your pet returns to Britain. You must only travel by an approved route. 

Further details can be found on the DEFRA website or by contacting the PETS Helpline on 0870 241 1710.

Pet animals cannot be landed directly in the Isle of Man by private air transport or private boat.

Caution: Please be aware that your pet can still contract other diseases whilst abroad.

Most blood borne diseases are spread by flies / ticks, for example Hepatozoonosis, Ehrlichiosis, Leishmaniasis, Heartworm or Babesiosis. Your pet will have no immunity to these diseases.

Talk to your vet about minimising the risk to your animal.

Although the Pet Passport allows your pet to travel with you on holiday, you must be aware of the disease and climate risks.

Remember, your pet is not used to the high temperatures of your destination. Is it really necessary to take your pet?

Export to overseas countries

If you are planning to travel to a non EU country you should contact your Veterinary Surgeon who will supply an application form for your completion.

Forward your completed form to:

Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture

Thie Slieau Whallian

Foxdale Road

St John's


Email:Send Email

Once DEFA receives your completed application, processing of the specific export certification will begin.

Details of the requirements for your specific export will be sent to your Veterinary Surgeon who will arrange the appropriate appointments with you.

Allow at least 6 weeks for your export procedure as some countries require blood tests, vaccinations, or treatments in the Isle of Man before your animal can be consigned. Some countries require Rabies vaccine 6 months before travel.

Did you find what you were looking for?
Back to top