Covid-19 Coronavirus

Travelling with pets

EU pet travel after 1 January 2021

Please view the information from DEFRA UK about changes to pet travel to and from the EU after the end of the transition period.

Further details can be found by contacting the Pet Travel Helpline on 0370 241 1710 or via

You will need to contact your vet at least 4 months before travel to begin preparing your pet for travel. 

Import control

Travelling from Great Britain to the Isle of Man

Most dogs, cats and ferrets may travel freely between the Isle of Man and Great Britain (Scotland, England, Wales).

However, certain breeds and types of dog are prohibited from importation (for example: XL Bully type, Pit Bull Terrier types, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino and Fila Braziliero). Please see the Wild Animals (Restrictions on importation etc.) Act 1980 on the Import and export of exotic animals and endangered species for further information. Updated 22 November 2023 to include XL Bully type.

All tortoises require CITES permits, a UK export permit and an IOM import permit, unless moving back and forth on a Personal Ownership Certificate. Please see Import and export of exotic animals and endangered species for further information. 

Pet animals cannot be landed directly from an EU country to the Isle of Man by private air transport or private boat. If travelling by air, pet animals can only land in the Isle of Man via a DEFRA & DEFA approved pet transporter. If in doubt, please contact DEFA Agriculture on +44 1624 685844 or email

Travelling to the Isle of Man from Non-EU Countries

Dogs, cats and ferrets are prohibited from importation directly into the Isle of Man. They must travel through a UK Border Control Post (BCP) first. Once in free circulation in Great Britain they can then travel onwards to the Isle of Man. Please contact DEFRA (DEFRA website) to organise importation into the UK from non-EU countries.

If in doubt, please contact DEFA Agriculture on +44 1624 685844 or email 

Export to Non-EU Countries

If you are planning to travel to a non-EU country you should contact your private Veterinary Surgeon who will supply an application form for your completion.

Please return your completed form to your private vet for checking. They will then forward the form to DEFA.

Once DEFA receives your completed application, processing of the specific export certification will begin. Details of the requirements for your specific export will be sent to your Veterinary Surgeon who will arrange the appropriate appointments with you. Please allow at least 6 weeks for your export procedure as some countries require blood tests, vaccinations, or treatments in the Isle of Man before your animal can be consigned. Some countries require Rabies vaccine 6 months before travel. 

Animal Health Team

Thie Slieau Whallian

Foxdale Road

St John's


Telephone:+44 1624 685844

Email:Send Email

The Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture is committed to ensuring that its services are accessible to all. If you require this document in an alternative format and / or language please contact us to discuss your needs.

Back to top