Preparing for winter
When winter weather is on the way, the Department of Infrastructure makes every effort to keep the Island on the move.
What we will try to do:
- Maintain safe driving conditions on primary roads which will normally include all busy roads. For detailed routes see winter gritting routes
- Roads that carry the heaviest traffic, bus routes and roads to hospitals, fire stations and schools will be given the highest priority
- Ensure salt (grit) is spread on the primary highway before ice forms
- If frost/ice is forming overnight we will salt primary routes before 8am
- Maintain our network of salt boxes around the Island
- Co-ordinate with Local Authorities for them to prioritise footpaths in retail and business areas – if they have the resources
- Keep the local media informed with regular updates
- As the resources become available, other routes will be treated to help the largest number of people first
- Operate Ellerslie Emergency Control Room during severe weather events to control and coordinate resources and manage telephone calls from the public
What you can do
- Have a container of salt at your house ready to salt your paths and driveway. Salt is available for domestic use free of charge at Civic Amenity Sites – you can help by obtaining yours in plenty of time
- If you are fit and able, try to clear the footpath outside your own property and put some salt down
- Use the salt boxes in your local community to salt difficult corners and hills
- If you manage a business, have a stock of salt ready to salt your car park, paths and areas outside your business to help keep your staff and customers safe
- Commercial users can buy salt from Ellerslie or Glen Duff depots for £10 per 100kg (approximate weight). Telephone +44 1624 850000 – delivery by arrangement
- Salt bins can also be purchased by arrangement with Ellerslie Control. Tel +44 1624 850000
- Check your vehicle has anti-freeze in the windscreen wash and you have a scraper to hand to clear your windscreen of frost and snow.
Weather Forecast 0900 6243 300
Customer Services 686665
24 hrs emergency line 672000
Please see our Snow Code for further information.