uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Child passport applications

If your child is living in the Isle of Man, or was born in the Isle of Man and is currently in the UK, you may apply for their British passport through our office. You will need to complete the M2 application form.

If your child was not born in the Isle of Man and is living in the UK, you must apply through the UK offices.

If your child is living abroad, you must apply through the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) Embassy, Consulate or High Commission of the country in which they are resident.

How much is a child passport?

A child passport currently costs £46 for standard service. Other timescales are available at an additional fee.

What do I need to do?

You will need to complete the application form and submit it to our office with:

  • two recent, identical photographs that meet our requirements (all passport application forms come with detailed guidelines on what is and is not acceptable). We do not have an in-house photography facility. See internationally agreed standards for passport photographs
  • a countersignatory (someone to witness your child’s application)
  • your child's passport, if renewing
  • the fee

You only need to complete section 5 of the form if your child was born, adopted or registered in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man

If your child has a link with the UK (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) through a parent or grandparent that was born, adopted, naturalised or registered in the UK, you will need to provide as much information as possible. You only need to provide details of one parent or grandparent, not all.

Who needs to sign the application form?

A parent or someone with parental responsibility must sign the form.

If the parents are separated or divorced, but were married at the time of the child's birth, or married at any time after the child's birth, either parents can sign, unless there is a court order stating that one parent has care and control. If there is such a court order, the parent with care and control must sign and should send the court order to us with the application.

A custody or maintenance order does not automatically take away the other parent's parental responsibility. If the parents have never married, the mother must sign. The father can only sign if he has a parental responsibility order or agreement and must send this with the application.

If another adult is acting as parent, they must send proof of their parental responsibility to us. If your child is 12 or over, they must sign in the box at the bottom of section 8 (leave this box blank for children under 12).

Getting your passport application form countersigned.

Can my child be added to my passport?

It is no longer possible to include the names of children in parents’ passports. It is therefore necessary for your child to have their own passport.

Supporting documentation

In addition to the application form, there are other supporting documents that you will need to produce.

Did you find what you were looking for?
Back to top