Covid-19 Coronavirus

Unregistered Tourism accommodation warning

Tuesday, 15 October 2013

THE Department of Economic Development is reminding anyone responsible for visitor accommodation that it needs to be registered with them as a legal requirement.

Failure to register can ultimately result in prosecution and a fine of up to £5000. 

The Department’s Political Member for Tourism Laurence Skelly MHK commented: 

‘We are committed to improving quality within the Island's Visitor Economy. All visitor accommodation in the Isle of Man needs to be registered in order that it can be shown to meet certain statutory obligations such as fire regulations and environmental health, intended to protect visitors. 

‘The Tourism team have become aware that a number of properties are being advertised online as visitor accommodation and have not been registered with the Department. 

‘I would encourage any proprietor who hasn’t yet registered their property to contact our Quality & Service Team to arrange registration of their property. 

‘They will be happy to guide people through the registration process and will provide valuable advice and assistance at no charge. 

‘Self-catering and Bed and Breakfast properties can be registered for only £50.   The Department  also offers assistance with marketing the property by offering  a free listing on the official Isle of Man tourism website and the opportunity to feature in the official Isle of Man Visitor Guide.’ 

Mr Skelly was also keen to point out that properties registered for Homestay are not eligible to offer accommodation to visitors outside of the TT Festival and Isle of Man Festival of Motorcycling. 

He added: 

‘The Homestay Scheme allows us to welcome visitors to the Isle of Man when the number of visitors exceeds available tourist accommodation. 

‘However, Homestay properties must not be promoted as visitor accommodation for availability outside of these periods and owners of these properties would find that they would be in breach of both the requirement to register as tourist accommodation and of their property’s Public Liability Insurance terms and conditions.’ 

Details on how to register can be obtained from Nikki Salmon by telephone on 01624 685965 or  

Further information on registration is available on the Department’s website for the Tourism Trade at

Issued By

Back to top