Application forms and fees
Application Form for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen
All applicants for British Nationality must complete the appropriate application form:
- Application for naturalisation as a British citizen – Form AN
- Application for registration of a child under 18 as British citizen – MN1 for Children
The UK Home Office produce a guide and a booklet setting out the criteria for naturalisation which all applicants considering making an application should read and understand before submitting their application. They can be read on the Home Office website by clicking on the respective links below, alternatively hard copies can be collected from the Passport & Nationality Office.
- Naturalisation as a British citizen - a guide for applicants: guide AN
- Naturalisation booklet - the requirements: booklet AN
- Registration as a British citizen - a guide about the registration of children under 18: guide MN1
For any reference on the application form or supporting guidance material to the 'Home Office' please read the 'Chief Secretary’s Office – Isle of Man Passport, Immigration & Nationality Service'.
For any reference on the application form or supporting guidance material to the 'Home Secretary' please read 'Lieutenant Governor' respectively.
Payments are accepted by cheque, cash or debit card only. Cheques should be made payable to the 'Isle of Man Government'.
Application fees cannot be refunded in full where an application fails. It is an applicant’s own responsibility to ensure that they meet all the requirements and disclose everything on their application form before making and paying for their application and that they have provided all the necessary supporting documentation in original form, as failure to do so will delay your application from being processed.
Please note that the Isle of Man Nationality Service cannot accept documents that have been laminated.
In addition to completing the Form AN, applicants in the Isle of Man will need to complete an Isle of Man Enquiry Consent Form and provide the details of 2 people who will act as referees required for each application. Each referee will need to complete and sign a Referee Consent Form. Both these forms can be found in downloadable documents section at the top right of this page.
To confirm that your referee can be accepted as a referee for your application, please refer to the List of acceptable referees in downloadable documents section at the top right of this page.
The fee for British citizenship comprises of two elements:
- An application fee – This is non-refundable should the application be refused or is withdrawn by the applicant. It is an applicant's responsibility to satisfy themselves before paying the fee that they meet all the appropriate requirements.
- Ceremony fee – This is paid by applicants who are required to attend a citizenship ceremony. It is refunded to applicants whose applications are refused or withdrawn.
In addition to the above, there is also a fee payable for the biometric enrolment process. This is currently £19.20 for each applicant, which is payable when you come for your appointment.
The application fees can be found in the downloadable documents section.
Please note only fully completed application accompanied by the correct fee at the time of submission will be accepted.
Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant unprocessed, to allow them to resubmit providing the correct documentation. Any application fee paid will still be valid unless there has been an increase in fees in the intervening period in which case the difference will need to be paid at the time of re-submitting the completed application.