Immigration and Nationality legislation
The British Nationality Act 1981 extends directly to the Isle of Man. Powers conferred on the UK Secretary of State by the British Nationality Act 1981 may be exercised in the Isle of Man by the Lieutenant Governor. The Lieutenant Governors powers under this Act are delegated to nationality officers within the Passport, Immigration and Nationality Office which sits under the External Relations Division of Cabinet Office.
British Nationality Act 1981 (c.61)
The Immigration (Isle of Man) Order 2008 is an Order in Council made by the Privy Council. It extends to the Isle of Man relevant elements of United Kingdom immigration law including the Immigration Act 1971. It has been amended several times and links to the relevant documents are set out below.
The Immigration Act 1971 (of Parliament) provides the statutory framework law for immigration control. This Act (as extended to the Isle of Man) confers powers on the Lieutenant Governor of the Isle of Man to exercise immigration control in the Island. The Lieutenant Governor’s powers are delegated to Isle of Man immigration officers by a Schedule of Delegated Authority.
Section 3(2) of the Immigration Act 1971 (as extended to the Isle of Man) grants the Council of Ministers power to make immigration rules to regulate the entry into and stay in the Isle of Man for people who are subject to immigration control. The Isle of Man immigration rules are substantially similar to the United Kingdom’s rules but not identical. The rules are updated and amended by a Statement of Changes which is laid before Tynwald.
- Immigration (Variation of Leave) Order 2018 (SD2018/0097)
- Immigration (Isle of Man) (Amendment) (No.2) Order 2016 (SD2016/755)
- Immigration (Isle of Man) (Amendment) Order 2016 (SD2016/156)
- Immigration (Isle of Man) (Amendment) Order 2015 (SD2015/1765)
- Immigration (Isle of Man) (Amendment) Order 2011 (SD2011/1408)
- Immigration and Police (Passenger, Crew And Service Information) Order 2011
- Immigration (Isle of Man) Order 2008 (SD 2008/680)