uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Entry clearance under the Points Based System

The requirements for immigrants for all the Points Based System (PBS) categories, and others which allow employment outside of the Points Based System can be found in the Immigration Rules.

There are 5 tiers of PBS as follows: 

Tier 1: Highly skilled individuals to contribute to growth and productivity;

  1. Not used
  2. Entrepreneurs
  3. Investors
  4. Not used

You do not need a job offer when you apply to enter or stay in the Isle of Man under Tier 1, but you will need to pass a points-based assessment.

Tier 1 applies to Highly Skilled Workers, Business persons and Investors 

Tier 2: Skilled workers with a job offer to fill gaps in Isle of Man labour force;

If you have been offered a skilled job in the Isle of Man and your prospective employer is willing to sponsor you, you can apply to come or stay here to do that job.

Tier 2 applies to skilled workers with a job offer 

Tier 3: Not used   

Tier 4: Students; Admission for duration of studies - do not qualify for settlement (ILR).

Tier 4 applicants must be sponsored by a Licensed Education Provider in the Isle of Man.

Tier 4 applies to students with an unconditional offer of a place on a relevant course of studies(link) 

Tier 5: Youth mobility and temporary workers: people allowed to work in the Isle of Man for a limited period of time to satisfy primarily non-economic objectives.

  1. Temporary Workers – Creative and Sporting
  2. Temporary Workers– Charity workers
  3. Temporary Workers – Religious Workers
  4. Temporary Workers – Government Authorised Exchange
  5. Temporary Workers – International Agreement
  6. Youth Mobility Scheme

Maximum period of leave is 24 months - do not qualify for settlement (ILR).

If an employer in the Isle of Man is willing to sponsor you, or if you are a national of a country that participates in the youth mobility scheme, you may be eligible for temporary entry permitting various types of work here.

Tier 5 applies to Temporary Workers 

Certificate of Sponsorship/Certificate as student

All applicants in Tiers 2 and 5 need to provide a certificate of sponsorship from a sponsor approved by DED. The certificate will act as an assurance that the migrant is able to do a particular job or course of study.

Applicants in Tier 4 will require confirmation of acceptance for studies from an Isle of Man Tier 4 sponsor.  

Further information about obtaining a sponsor licence or regarding Certificates of Sponsorship is available from the Department of Economic Development.

Did you find what you were looking for?
Back to top