Covid-19 Coronavirus

Extend your stay as EEA family member

‘Extended’ EEA family members

You must apply for a residence document if you’re the ‘extended’ family member of an EEA national and want to stay in the UK after your EEA family permit has expired.

See the eligibility criteria for extended EEA family members.

Qualifying as an extended family member or unmarried partner

You can apply as an extended family member:

  • if, for example, you are a brother, sister, aunt, uncle, cousin, nephew or niece

You must be able to show that you’re dependent on the EEA citizen or are a member of their household, or have a serious health condition and rely on them to care for you.

You can also apply as an unmarried partner if you can show that you’re in a lasting relationship with the EEA national.

Extended family members and unmarried partners aren’t guaranteed to get a permit. Your individual circumstances will be considered when you apply.

Your family member must have full health insurance (comprehensive sickness insurance) if they’re studying or financially independent.

Back to top