Vehicle registration

The initial registration and licensing of vehicles and motorcycles can be undertaken at any Post Office. Goods vehicles and public passenger vehicles are subject to testing prior to registration. After initial registration of a vehicle, reminders for the annual renewal of the licence disc are sent out to owners and the licence can be renewed at any Post Office.

All United Kingdom, Channel Island, Irish or foreign registered motor vehicles brought into the Isle of Man from the United Kingdom, Ireland or any other country must be re-registered on the Island at the earliest opportunity if the owner is already resident on the Island, or as soon as possible after the owner takes up residence on the Island.

To ensure you obtain the correct documentation to re-register the vehicle in the Isle of Man please read the following guidance from the UK DVLA in respect of taking a vehicle out of the UK.

A vehicle registered elsewhere which accompanies a visiting driver during his/her visit here may remain for up to 12 months without being re-registered on the Island, provided that the visitor remains in charge of the vehicle and does not become resident here.

In order to register and licence a vehicle in the Isle of Man the following documents must be submitted to any Post Office along with completed application forms for both registration of the vehicle and its first licence:

  • The current vehicle registration documents supplied by the manufacturer or his import concessionaire if the vehicle is new, or the appropriate registration documents from the country where the vehicle was most recently registered. If any such documentation is not available or is incomplete the vehicle will be inspected and there will be a delay while the particulars of the vehicle are being established to ascertain whether it may be registered. (The documentation must include type approval information for passenger cars and goods vehicles under 10 years old). The licensing office may refuse to register a vehicle if it is not satisfied that the vehicle will be mainly used and maintained on the Island or the owner is a Manx resident student

  • A current certificate of motor insurance for the vehicle

  • If the vehicle is more than 5 years old at the time of the application for its first licence on the Island, or if it is an annually certifiable vehicle, it will also be necessary to produce a road worthiness test certificate