Vehicle Duty is charged for the issue of a vehicle licence to enable a motor vehicle or large draw-bar trailer that is kept in the Island to be used on public roads. This charge is sometimes known as 'Vehicle Tax' or 'Vehicle Licence Fee' (fees can be found on page 3 of Form VL1).
Renewal of vehicle tax
A renewal notice to make payment of Vehicle Tax will be sent out approximately a month before renewal. This will contain the cost of renewal and a unique renewal number. Payment can now be made online through Online Services. (Please note that registration to Online Services with an email address is required to use this service).
- Please make cheques payable to 'Isle of Man Post Office'.
- All postal applications must be accompanied by a cheque or postal order and not cash.
- Payment at the counters may be paid by cheque, cash, debit cards or postal orders.
If a cheque for a licence is dishonoured, the licence will be void from the date of issue and the vehicle will become unlicensed.
Vehicles requiring Certificates From Tromode Test Centre
- Hire and drive vehicles over 3 years old.
- Buses or minibuses over 6 months old (category D and D1 whether or not they are used to carry passengers for hire or reward). If the vehicle is to be used for carrying passengers for hire or reward a certificate of initial fitness is also required.
- Vehicles previously licensed in the Isle of Man which have not had a licence in force in the last 2 years.
- Vehicles that have been scrapped, written-off or seriously damaged and taken out of use but have been subsequently repaired
- A goods vehicle exceeding a maximum gross weight of 3,500kg.
To qualify for this rate, form VL4 must be completed and signed.
A valid insurance certificate is required.
Vehicle Test Centre
+44 1624 686843
Counter opening times:
Monday to Friday - 9am to 4.30pm