Vehicle Duty is charged for the issue of a vehicle licence to enable a motor vehicle or large draw-bar trailer that is kept in the Island to be used on public roads. This charge is sometimes known as 'Vehicle Tax' or 'Vehicle Licence Fee'.
Renewal of vehicle tax
A renewal notice to make payment of Vehicle Tax will be sent out approximately a month before renewal. This will contain the cost of renewal and a unique renewal number. Payment can now be made online through Online Services. (Please note that registration to Online Services with an email address is required to use this service).
- Please make cheques payable to 'Isle of Man Post Office'.
- All postal applications must be accompanied by a cheque or postal order and not cash.
- Payment at the counters may be paid by cheque, cash, debit cards or postal orders.
If a cheque for a licence is dishonoured, the licence will be void from the date of issue and the vehicle will become unlicensed.
Vehicles requiring Certificates From Tromode Test Centre
- Hire and drive vehicles over 3 years old.
- Buses or minibuses over 6 months old (category D and D1 whether or not they are used to carry passengers for hire or reward). If the vehicle is to be used for carrying passengers for hire or reward a certificate of initial fitness is also required.
- Vehicles previously licensed in the Isle of Man which have not had a licence in force in the last 2 years.
- Vehicles that have been scrapped, written-off or seriously damaged and taken out of use but have been subsequently repaired
- A goods vehicle exceeding a maximum gross weight of 3,500kg.
To qualify for this rate, form VL4 must be completed and signed.
A valid insurance certificate is required.
Vehicle Test Centre
+44 1624 686843