Covid-19 Coronavirus

Vehicle registration and licensing

Vehicle Licensing

Vehicle Test Centre

Ballafletcher Road




Telephone:+44 1624 686843

Email:Send Email

Vehicle Registration Certificate

All imported vehicles intended for use on the Isle of Man roads by residents or businesses must be registered and licensed as soon as they are brought to the Isle of Man. If a vehicle is over 5 years old a roadworthiness test must be booked for it immediately at the vehicle test centre. Vehicle tests should, in most cases, be available within 14 days of any enquiry. If the vehicle to be imported is less than 5 years old a roadworthiness test is not required and the vehicle can be registered as soon as it is imported. This can be done through IOM Post Office Licensing. 

Visitors to the Isle of Man (including short term employment) driving a vehicle registered other than in the Isle of Man can do so for 12 months. Beyond this the vehicle must be registered on the Isle of Man. 

Bringing a vehicle from the UK

Please note if bringing a vehicle from the UK the complete V5C (UK registration document) must be obtained from the seller as the vehicle can not be registered without it. DVLA in the UK will no longer issue an export certificate if the V5C is not retained and will not send a replacement V5C to a non UK address.

Further advice can be obtained from Vehicle Licensing, Vehicle Test Centre, Tromode, IM4 4QJ, on +44 1624 686843. 

Registering your vehicle

In order to register a vehicle in the Isle of Man the following documents must be submitted to any Post Office along with the completed application forms:

  • Current vehicle registration documents supplied by the manufacturer if the vehicle is new or the appropriate registration documents from the country where the vehicle was most recently registered. Please note if the vehicle was most recently registered in the UK prior to coming to the Island the V5C must be obtained from the seller

  • Current certificate of motor insurance if the vehicle is to be used or kept on a public road once registered

  • Roadworthiness test certificate if the vehicle is more than 5 years old at the time of import, or if  the vehicle is annually certifiable

  • Customs Clearance Certificate (NOVA2MAN) for all vehicles imported from outside the UK, whether new or used, must be declared to Customs and Excise within 14 days of its arrival on the Island.  A vehicle cannot be registered for use on the road until Customs and Excise is satisfied that any charges due in respect of the vehicle have been secured. For further information contact Customs and Excise on +44 1624 648140, e-mail or visit (N.B. Vehicles imported from the UK which have been previously registered with the DVLA do not require Customs clearance.)
  • If any documentation is not available or is incomplete the vehicle will need to be inspected and there will be a delay while the particulars of the vehicle are being established to determine whether it may be registered or not. Documentation must include any type approval information for vehicles under 10 years old unless the vehicle is exempt

Although there is no periodic MOT test for vehicles in general, annual roadworthiness tests are required for all goods vehicles over 3500kgs, buses, minibuses, passenger cars that are to be used as public passenger vehicles (taxis or private hire cars) and hire and drive vehicles which are over 3 years old. 

Registration and licensing of vehicles can be undertaken at any Post Office. Vehicle Licensing, based at the Vehicle Test Centre, Tromode will assist in the registration of vehicles where there is insufficient documentation to support the registration. 

For any queries please contact either Post Office Licensing on +44 1624 698525 or DOI, Vehicle & Driver Licensing on +44 1624 686843.

Vehicle tests are undertaken by:  

The Vehicle and Driving Test Centre

Ballafletcher Road





Telephone:+44 1624 627431

Email:Send Email

Counter opening times:
Monday to Friday: 9am to 4.30pm.

Back to top