uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Apply for a road closure for events

You can apply for a temporary road closure or traffic restriction either by post or email.  Before you apply, make sure you are familiar with our conditions.

Apply by email

You can submit your written application by email to:

This should clearly provide details of the road(s) to be closed or restricted, to and from points and the applicable dates and times. It should also include a contact number for public enquiries. 

Apply by post

Alternatively, you may post a written application to: 

Regulations Team
Highway Services
Department of Infrastructure
1st Floor
Sea Terminal
IM1 2RF 


In order to close a road for your event, you will need to give us –

  • at least 6 months notice when applying for a road race;
  • at least 3 months notice when applying for an event such as a carnival, parade, fun day etc.; or
  • at least 28 days notice when applying for filming.  

This will allow us time to review your proposed traffic management and safety arrangements. 

What happens next? 

We will consider your application and assess the feasibility of the closure and proposed diversion route. 

You will need to demonstrate that you are competent to organise the event that is proposed.  

We will ask for the following:

Evidence of proposed consultation and public notice With those who may be affected.  This includes the emergency services (Fire and Rescue, Ambulance, Police etc), Local Authorities, Public Transport, Churches, residents and businesses. 
Event Safety Plan  Please view our model template 
Traffic Management Plan  Identifying the section of road to be closed, details of proposed diversion route and details of proposed signage
Risk Assessment  Identifying potential hazards and precautions to be taken to ensure the safety of all
Licences/Permits (if applicable) Required if there will be alcohol, fireworks, music etc.
Public Liability Insurance  We will not approve a closure without it. We accept £5m for small events and ask for £10m for larger events.

How much does it cost? 

Payment will be required to meet the cost of an advert in a newspaper. We will send you an invoice for this. 


In accordance with section 38 of the Highways Act 1986; or the Road Races Act 2016. 

Event safety 

Helpful information on event safety can be found on our Event Safety webpage

You should also complete the Event Notification Form

Approved closures 

Details of approved closures can be found on Road Watch

Contact us 

You can phone +44 1624 686930 if you need any further help or support with your application.

Did you find what you were looking for?
Back to top