Apply for a road closure or traffic restriction
Apply for a temporary road closure or traffic restriction
The Department may temporarily close roads or restrict traffic to cater for –
- Road maintenance or bridge repairs;
- Requests for essential works on or under the highway; and
- Events affecting the highway, such as, road races, carnivals, filming etc.
Apply for a road closure for works
You can apply for a temporary road closure or traffic restriction either by post or email. Before you apply, make sure you are familiar with our conditions.
Apply by post
Alternatively, you may post the completed form and traffic management plan to:
Department of Infrastructure
You will need to give us at least 28 days notice when applying for a road closure.
This will enable us to –
- Check the information supplied is sufficient;
- Assess the feasibility of the closure and proposed diversion route;
- Give notice of the proposed closure in a newspaper; and
- Provide you with the lawful authority to close the road.
What happens next?
We will process your application and may contact you if we require more information.
How much does it cost?
Payment will be required to meet the cost of the advert in a newspaper. We will send you an invoice for this.
What happens if I need to extend the closure?
You must submit a new application and give at least 28 days notice, where it is reasonable to do so.
In accordance with section 3 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1985.
A list of our conditions for road closures can be found in our Road Closure Conditions document.
Details of approved closures can be found on Road Watch.
You can phone +44 1624 686904 if you need any further help or support with your application.