This news release is issued to draw attention to an increase in duty rates for tobacco products from 16 November 2020. These changes will be implemented by the Tobacco Products Duty Act 1986 (Amendment)(No 2) Order 2020 [SD 2020/0529].
The rates of most tobacco products will increase by Retail Price Index (RPI) (UK) plus 2%, with the rate for hand-rolling tobacco increasing by RPI (UK) plus 4%.
The Minimum Excise Tax has been uprated by an additional 2%, to 4% above RPI (UK) inflation to £6.42 (previously £6.10) for a pack of 20, and will apply to cigarettes sold at or below £9.23 (previously £8.23) for a pack of 20.
The effect of these changes will add -
- 22p to the price of a pack of 20 cigarettes
- 65p to a 30g pack of hand-rolling tobacco
- 11p to a 10g pack of cigars
- 15p to a 30g pack of pipe tobacco, and
- 28p to tobacco for heating packs