The formally designated Conservation Areas are:
- All Douglas overview Map
- Douglas (North Quay)
- Douglas (Little Switzerland)
- Douglas (Ballaquayle Road)
- Douglas (Selborne Drive)
- Douglas (Windsor Road)
- Douglas (Olympia)
- Douglas (Woodbourne Road)
- Douglas Promenades
- Douglas (Athol Street/Victoria Street/Duke Street)
- St John's Villiage
- St Marks Village
- Glen Wyllin
- Kirk Michael
Please click on any of the above to view a map showing the extent of the area.
Information Note: A current consultation on potential improvements to the planning system is open for comment until 8 January 2018. For more information, see the consultation overview.
Conservation Area Character Appraisals have been carried out on the following areas;
- Athol and Victoria Street Conservation Area
- Ballabeg Conservation Area
- Ballaquayle Road Conservation Area
- Castletown Conservation Study circa 1998
- Douglas Promenade Conservation Area
- Glen Wyllin Conservation Area
- Kirk Michael Conservation Area
- Little Switzerland Conservation Area
- Olympia Conservation Area
- Selbourne Drive Conservation Area
- St Marks Conservation Area
- Windsor Road Conservation Area
- Woodbourne Road Conservation Area
Scanned copies of these documents are available for viewing and/or downloading.
What is a Conservation Area?
A Conservation Area is an area of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to enhance or preserve. Please see the policy document for further information on Conservation Areas which is available as a downloadable document to the right of this page.
Proposed Conservation Areas within the Southern Area Plan
Appraisal documents and associated Maps showing the proposed boundaries for towns and villages identified as having the potential for Conservation Area status were raised as part of the Southern Area Plan and previously in the 1999 St Johns Local Plan. To view the areas proposed click on the documents below.
- Port St Mary - draft conservation area Character Appraisal
- Port St Mary proposed conservation area Map
- Cregneash proposed conservation area Map
- Port Erin - draft conservation area Character Appraisal
- Port Erin proposed conservation area Map
- Ballabeg - draft conservation area Character Appraisal
- Ballabeg proposed conservation area Map
- Ballasalla and Silverdale - draft conservation area Character Appraisal
- Silverdale proposed conservation area Map
- St Johns village proposed conservation area
Planning Controls for Conservation Areas
Because of the special nature of Conservation Areas, there are tighter planning controls and obligations in respect of demolition, new development, property alterations and advertisements and signs. Below are some useful links which provide some information on property maintenance and building conservation.
As a rule of thumb all properties within a Conservation Area are excluded from all permitted development and planning permission is required in most instances. Any queries should be directed to the Department. Please telephone +44 1624 685950 or e-mail: email@example.com.