The Castletown Housing Land Review Archived Page
This is an archived page – please view the current status of the Castletown Housing Land Review.
The Area Plan for the South includes a commitment to explore potential opportunities for additional housing within Castletown. This page provides information about this ongoing project.
Initial Consultation (August – October 2016)
The Area Plan for the South includes a commitment to explore potential opportunities for additional housing within Castletown. Work has commenced on the Castletown Housing Land Review and is focussing on three main areas:
- Housing Need – to better understand the need for additional housing in Castletown
- Possible Sites – to identify potentially suitable sites to satisfy that need
- A Way Forward – to identify and implement a pragmatic and practical approach to facilitating those sites being brought forward
To inform this work, the Department has launched an initial consultation to seek comments on:
- the Provisional Housing Need Assessment for Castletown
- the sites which have been put forward to the Department in response to the ‘Call for Sites’ and other areas which could be considered (i.e. which in the Department’s opinion should also undergo preliminary assessment)
- potential ways forward for the project
In addition to detailed information on housing need and sites (see below) the following documents are available to download from this page:
- the Public Notice for the Initial Consultation
- a Response Form
- an Explanatory Note about the purpose and scope of the consultation
- a map showing the existing allocations in the Area Plan for the South, the 15 sites submitted in response to the Call for Sites and other areas which could be considered
Completed Response Forms can be submitted:
- by E-mail - to email@example.com; or
- by Post - to Planning Policy Team, Cabinet Office, Sea Terminal, Douglas, Isle of Man, IM1 2RF
Housing Need Assessment
A Provisional Housing Need Assessment is available for comment and can be downloaded below.
- Provisional Housing Need Assessment
The latest Island-wide Residential Land Availability Assessment (RLAS 8) which covers the period 1 July 2014 – 30 June 2015 is available at www.gov.im/evidencebase and provides useful background information.
In October 2015, the Department of Infrastructure (which was then the Department responsible for Planning Policy), started preparatory work on the Castletown Housing Land Review and issued a ‘Call for Sites’. The 15 Site Submissions received in response to this are available to view and download from this page.
Site assessments are ongoing and it is the intention to finalise these ahead of any decision to pursue specific sites for residential development. The draft Site Assessment Framework is available to download below for information.
- Site Assessment Framework
If you have any questions about the Castletown Housing Land Review project, please contact the Policy Team by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling
- Diane Brown (Head of Planning Policy) on (01624) 685905