The Castletown Housing Land Review
The Area Plan for the South includes a commitment to explore potential opportunities for additional housing within Castletown. This page provides information about this ongoing project.
The Castletown Housing Land Review and is focussing on three main areas:
- Housing Need – to better understand the need for additional housing in Castletown
- Possible Sites – to identify potentially suitable sites to satisfy that need
- A Way Forward – to identify and implement a pragmatic and practical approach to facilitating those sites being brought forward
Call for Sites and Initial Consultation
In October 2015, the Department of Infrastructure (which was then the Department responsible for Planning Policy), started preparatory work on the Castletown Housing Land Review and issued a ‘Call for Sites’. From August to October 2016 the Cabinet Office carried an Initial Consultation to seek comments on:
- A Provisional Housing Need Assessment for Castletown;
- Sites which were put forward to the Department in response to the ‘Call for Sites’ and other areas which could be considered (i.e. which in the Department’s opinion should also undergo preliminary assessment)
- Potential ways forward for the project.
The material published as part of the 2016 consultation (which included the responses to the Call for Sites) can be viewed on an archived page.
The final Site Assessment Framework (updated after the Initial Consultation) can be viewed here.
The responses to the consultation can be viewed also.
October 2017 Update
Site assessments have been produced for 22 sites and the final reports are available in the downloadable documents.
Site Assessment Process Report
The Site Assessment Process Report makes a number of recommendations going forward.
Minor changes have been made to the Provisional Housing Needs Assessment for Castletown.
The Cabinet Office is currently considering the implications of the latest findings and will set out a firm direction for Castletown later in the year.
If you have any questions about the Castletown Housing Land Review project, please contact the Policy Team by e-mailing Planning Policy or by calling (01624) 685905 or 685759.