Gov.im uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Planning application submitted to protect Douglas promenade from effects of climate change

Wednesday, 26 September 2018

A planning application has been submitted aimed at protecting Douglas Promenade from wave overtopping and the effects of climate change.

Subject to planning approval, a 500-metre reinforced concrete wall will be built between the Sunken Gardens and the Empress Hotel on Central Promenade.

Existing walls and railings will be removed and the new wall built to a height of 1.2 metres. It has been designed to allow an additional 0.6m to be added in the future, if required, in line with climate change predictions.

Planning application submitted to protect Douglas promenade from effects of climate change

The Department consulted with veterans’ groups during the planning process due to the wall’s proximity to the War Memorial, and was pleased to receive a positive response to the innovative and respectful design.

Infrastructure Minister Ray Harmer MHK said:

‘We saw earlier this year exactly how much damage can be caused in Douglas by wave overtopping, and this project will help set firm foundations to enable future generations to cope with predicted changes in sea levels'.

Kate Lord-Brennan, Member with responsibility for Highways, said:

‘With enabling works currently taking place, the project will mark the beginning of an exciting period on Douglas Promenade, which will be dramatically improved over the next two years'.

The measures are the latest in a series of adaptation schemes around the Island designed to mitigate the impact of rising sea levels and severe weather as a result of climate change.

The Department has worked in partnership with flood management specialists JBA Consulting to develop long-term measures to combat harbour flooding and wave overtopping at vulnerable coastal locations around the Island.

The proposed project will cost approximately £500,000 with funds allocated from the Climate Change Adaption Scheme budget, which is distinct from funding allocated to the main Douglas Promenade Refurbishment scheme.

Construction will take approximately four months.

Issued By

Did you find what you were looking for?
Back to top