Large scale mapping
The backbone of the Isle of Man's mapping dataset is the large scale base mapping, which is surveyed at 1:1250 in urban areas and 1:2500 in rural and mountain areas.
For business users the base mapping is split into individual tiles; 500 x 500 metre squares for 1:1250 scale mapping and 1 x 1 km squares for 1:2500 scale mapping.
There are a total of 800 tiles for the whole Island, see index diagram at the bottom of this page for the breakdown of tiles.
To obtain digital mapping for internal business use, it is necessary to take out a Single Use licence. These are free to set up, but carry restrictions of use on the data. The agreements usually run on an annual basis with an initial map tile fee plus annual royalty should the tile be retained for future use.
See the Digital mapping price list for more details.
Some key features
- Easy to set up and operate licences
- Digital mapping can be bought on a tile by tile basis
- Supply would be in DXF or NTF formats (DXF is usual for CAD systems)
- There is an initial charge for each tile, plus an annual royalty for the second and subsequent years that tiles are held
- We would normally revise a proportion of our tiles on an annual basis and any updated mapping that you hold will automatically be sent to you once a year
Other digital datasets
There are several digital products derived from this large scale base mapping which are commercially available and may suit specialist needs, see Digital mapping price list for details of costs.
Various vintages and formats available. See aerial photography price list for more details.
- generalised vector mapping, 42 tiles covering the whole Island DXF/NTF formats.
Small Scale Raster Mapping
- 1:25,000 Outdoor Leisure Map Raster TIFF format
- 1:50,000 general topographic map Raster TIFF format
- 1:100,000 general road map Raster TIFF format
- 32 Tiles at 1:10,000 scale covering the whole Island, plus spot height data DXF/NTF formats
Digital Terrain Model
- 20m derived from 2001 aerial Orthophotography project and updated in 2006 ASCII text format
Customers wishing to use the mapping for incorporation into their own commercial products (either hard copy, or electronic), please contact the section directly for advice.
To set up a Licence or for further information, please contact us.
Sea Terminal Buildings
Isle of Man. IM1 2SF
+44 1624 685924