Covid-19 Coronavirus

Making a building control application

If you wish to apply for building control approval, you need to submit a full plans application. This type of application allows you to have your plans checked by our surveyors and approved as complying with the Building Regulations 2014. See downloadable documents for a copy of these regulations.

The submission of a full plans application has 2 benefits:

  • a set of approved plans to build from, and near immunity from enforcement action if you build in accordance with those plans, and
  • a greater certainty of the final building costs.

Another advantage to making a full plans application is that our staff can advise on the following:

  • design and layout
  • structural design and local ground conditions
  • fire safety and engineering
  • energy conservation and sound transmission, and
  • access and facilities for people with disabilities, including liaison with other Government Departments and external bodies.

To make a full plans application, it is necessary to complete an application form (see the P&BC application form folder). The form should be accompanied by 2 full sets of plans and a plan fee.

Note: For designated buildings under Fire Precaution Act 1975, a further 2 sets of floor plans are needed.

If you need advice or assistance, ask for a pre-application consultation with one of our Building Control Officers (see related links).

Please be aware that whilst a Full plans application may be subject to one amendment after submission, should further subsequent amendment be made, Regulation 4 (7)(b) requires that an additional fee is chargeable at 50% of the original plan fee up to a maximum as stated.

Regularisation Applications/ Unauthorised Works

Where unauthorised works may have been undertaken without support of an appropriate application since 1993, assessment will be given on receipt of an application for ‘Regularisation’.

Where a property owner has undertaken works which should have been subject to Building Control assessment there are obligations to regularise the works carried out. Such instances most often arise where the property is subject to a conveyance. Property owners are therefore encouraged and best advised to make good any such obligations before marketing their property.

Works undertaken prior to 1993, ‘Letters of Comfort’ may be issued for works which are proven to have been undertaken prior to 1993. Such requests are subject to an administration fee. Letters of comfort do not ‘regularise; the works undertaken, but give comfort that no enforcement action will be carried by this office due to the length of time that the unauthorised works have been in place.

A regularisation application form is available on our application page

The information required to support such application is set down in Section 26 of the Regulations  

Specifically requiring;

(a) a statement that the application is made under this regulation;

(b) a description of the unauthorised work;

(c) the date of commencement and completion of the unauthorised work;

(d) so far as is reasonably practicable, a plan of the unauthorised work;

(e) so far as is reasonably practicable, a plan showing any additional work required to be carried out to secure that unauthorised work complies with the requirements relating to building work in the building regulations which were applicable to that work when it was carried out ("the relevant requirements"); and

(f) any other information relating to the unauthorised works which the applicant or the building authority considers may be relevant.

The application must be accompanied by the relevant fee.

Please be aware that with the introduction of the Building Control (Fees)(No2) Regulations 2021, Section 6 addressing unauthorised work, applications for regularisation are chargeable to the fee, as would have been applied originally under the current Fees Regulation (both plan and inspection fee) and will incur an “unauthorised work fee”

On completion of this form, we will arrange a visit to inspect the works for compliance with Building Regulations.

Link with planning permission

In many cases, planning permission will be required in addition to Building Regulations approval. Both are distinct and different areas of control but both will be handled by the Planning and Building Control Division of the Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture, which enables co-ordination and combined advice to be given.

Please note that where the Department handles both applications the administration team will compare both sets of plans to ensure that any built structure is erected in accordance with the permissions given.


The current Building Control fees schedule was introduced with effect from 1 June 2021. The fees schedule is at the rear of the Regulations on the P&BC application form folder.

Electronic applications

The Department is introducing an electronic service for the submission of BC applications which, when formally launched, will be available on the Planning and Building Control application forms page.

Back to top