Covid-19 Coronavirus

Installation of Wood Burning Stoves & Solid Fuel Burning Appliances

The Department has noted an increased number of people installing wood burning stoves in their homes – yet sometimes they are doing so without seeking the appropriate planning and building control approvals first.

Homeowners, tenants and businesses do need to be mindful that they must comply with Planning & Building Regulations when fitting Wood Burning Stoves or other Solid Fuel Burning Appliances.

Failure to do so may put you or your property at risk of fire and /or expose the occupants and neighbours to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning which can be fatal.

Problems can also arise when properties are sold as advocates for buyers will ask for copies of the appropriate approvals – if you do not have these – the sale of a property may be jeopardised or delayed.

There are two options open to property owners and tenants (with permission of Landlord) when deciding to install these types of appliances:

  • 1. Make an application to the relevant Building Control Authority for approval (a fee based on estimated cost of works is charged for this service).


  • Employ a Government-approved Competent Person who is either member of HETAS or a person approved by the Department as having fulfilled the criteria of competent person scheme for the official testing and installation of domestic solid fuel and wood burning appliances and associated equipment and services to carry out the work, and

  • 2. To notify your Local Building Control Authority within 30 days of completion of works by issuing a Completion Certificate without charge to their client and the Building Authority.

HETAS is the acronym for the Heating Equipment Testing and Approval Scheme - which is the independent UK body recognised by UK and Isle of Man Governments. Further details for the HETAS registration and what it involves can be found to the right of this page.

For more information you are advised to contact the Department's Planning & Building Control Directorate on 685902/686446 or calling at the Department's first floor reception, Murray House, Mount Havelock, Douglas to obtain information regarding any Planning or Building Control Requirements when you are thinking of installing domestic solid fuel and wood burning appliances, new flues or chimneys.

The Departments Building Control Section has a list of tradesman registered to install solid fuel burning appliances who are expected to be fully aware of their client's obligations. A copy of list of approved persons can be found under the downloadable documents section on this page.

Back to top