Covid-19 Coronavirus

Electrical installations in homes

Whether they are a professional or a homeowner, anybody undertaking electrical installation work in domestic properties in the Isle of Man must comply with Schedule 1, Part P (Electrical Safety) of the Building Regulations 2014.

Those who do not comply are committing a criminal offence.

Homeowners and contractors need to be aware of the requirements of Part P, the overall objective being to improve industry standards and prevent injuries caused by substandard domestic electrical installation work.

Membership of the Electrical Competent Persons Scheme in the Island has soared since the regulations came into force in 1st July 2007, which demonstrates the commitment of Island electrical contractors to ensuring the safety of electrical installations in private dwellings.

The legislation recognises affiliated tradesmen who have joined a Competent Person Scheme, such as that run by the Department of Environment Food and Agriculture (in liaison with the ECA) or a recognised body as listed below.

  • National Association of Professional Inspectors and Testers (NAPIT),
  • National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting (NICEIC) or
  • Electrical Contractors Association (ECA),

An electrician subscribed to one of these bodies is able to self-certify their own work which will be recognised as being carried out appropriately and fully up to the required standards.

With exception to minor jobs such as works indicated in Table 1 below, homeowners using electricians who are not registered with a recognised body as mentioned above, must make an application for building regulations approval to the appropriate Building Control Authority prior to starting work on site. At the same time paying the relevant plan and site inspection fees as may be required.

Alternatively, homeowners can employ an Approved Competent Person Scheme electrician to undertake the works.

A competent person will, within 30 days of completion of the works, notify the appropriate Authority and also issue a Completion Certificate to you and that Building Authority without further charge.

See the downloadable documents to the right for an up to date list of electrical contractors in the Isle of Man who are members of the Competent Persons Scheme. Alternatively you can contact the Department by email or telephone +44 1624 685902

If an electrician’s name is not on the list as a member of one of the recognised bodies they are not qualified to undertake any electrical works that fall outside of those listed in table 1 below.

Table 1 shows typical works which are exempt from notification

Table 1

Works which need not be notified to Building Control Authorities, but still need to
comply with minimum requirements for electrical installations:

  1. Replacing any fixed electrical equipment (for example, socket-outlets, control switches, and ceiling roses) which does not include provision of any new fixed cabling,
  2. Replacing the cable for a single circuit only, where damaged, for example, by fire, rodent or impact (on condition that the replacement cable has the same current carrying capacity and follows the same route),
  3. Re-fixing or replacing the enclosures of existing components (if the circuit’s protective measures are unaffected),
  4. Providing mechanical protection to existing fixed installations (if the circuit’s protective measures and current-carrying capacity of conductors are unaffected by increased thermal insulation),
  5. Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding (such works will need to comply with other applicable legislation, such as the Gas Safety (installations and use) Regulations,
  6. Works which are not in kitchens or special locations:

a) Adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit,
b) Adding socket-outlets and fuse spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit,
c) Telephone or extra-low voltage wiring and equipment for the purposes of communications, information technology, signalling, control and similar purposes,
d) Prefabricated equipment sets and associated flexible leads with integral plug and sockets connections.

Table 2

Table 2 lists all works which must be notified to your local Building Control Authority

Works and installations which need to be notified to Building Control Authorities and those in special locations and installations are:

Special Locations

  • Locations containing a bath tub or shower basin,
  • Swimming pools or paddling pools,
  • Hot air saunas

Special Installations

  • Electric floor or ceiling heating system,
  • Garden lighting or power installations,
  • Solar photovoltaic (PV) power supply systems
  • Small Scale generators such as microchip units,
  • Extra-low voltage lighting installations, other than pre-assembled, CE-marked lighting sets, and
  • Any other installations that are not mentioned in Table 1.

The Department strongly recommends that unless you are experienced in the types of works mentioned in Tables 1 and 2, you should employ a competent electrician to carry out the works for you.

Back to top