Distance: This is a walk of 6 kilometres, about 4 miles.
Time: Approximately 2 hours.
It involves a short length of roadside walking before diverting into a narrow lane. A short climb into Stoney Mountain plantation is followed by a gradual descent by forest road. The walk then diverts onto a public footpath along the plantation boundary. It then follows a short lane, crossing a road, before entering South Barrule plantation. It finishes with a level walk by forest road, back to the start.
The terrain is relatively level and the going is good but is wet under foot in places. Participants should be generally fit and wear suitable outdoor footwear.
The route is not waymarked on the ground, but a detailed map (1:10,000 scale) is available from our St John's office or can be downloaded from this page. Eight figure grid references for WayPoints (WPs) are listed below for GPS users. Note that GPS reception can be variable within the lower parts of the plantation. The distance between WayPoints is shown after each description.
Parking is available at South Barrule Plantation (SC275767).
- From WP01 Exit car park and follow public road 350 metres to
- WP02 Cross road with care, turn left and follow main road 200m to
- WP03 Turn right down lane, bear right 230m to
- WP04 Entrance to Stoney Mountain plantation. Follow forest road and track uphill 680m to
- WP05 Continue straight on downhill, following track and forest road 910m to
- WP06 Bear left and follow forest road 450m to
- WP07 Entrance. Turn right onto public footpath and continue uphill inside boundary hedge 620m to
- WP08 Bear left, following path 250m to
- WP09 Pass through gate and follow path outside boundary fence 430m to
- WP10 Follow track down 210m to
- WP11 Cross stream and follow lane (often boggy here) 300m to
- WP12 Cross road with care, straight on 80m to
- WP13 Turn right at lay-by into South Barrule plantation and follow forest road straight on 670m to
- WP14 Driveway to depot, turn left then right back onto forest road 570m to
- WP01 (Start point)
10 metre grid references
- WP01 SC2751 7668
- WP02 SC2781 7675
- WP03 SC2786 7695
- WP04 SC2809 7701
- WP05 SC2862 7661
- WP06 SC2886 7576
- WP07 SC2919 7548
- WP08 SC2862 7565
- WP09 SC2840 7555
- WP10 SC2803 7572
- WP11 SC2789 7584
- WP12 SC2777 7557
- WP13 SC2769 7557
- WP14 SC2765 7619