Distance: This is a walk of 5 kilometres, about 3 miles.
Time: Approximately 1½ hours.
It involves a steep uphill climb from the Sloc following the coastal footpath before continuing along the Lhiattee ny Beinnee ridge southwards. Extensive views over the south of the Island and the Calf. The route then descends towards Fleshwick bay. Partway down, the route turns off the footpath to follow the contour south eastwards. On meeting the greenway road the route turns northwards to follow the greenway gently uphill. The final stretch is a gradual descent along the greenway back to the starting point. The going is generally good but may be wet underfoot in places.
Participants should be generally fit and wear suitable outdoor footwear.
The route is not waymarked on the ground, but a detailed map (1:15,000 scale) is available from our St John's office or can be downloaded from this page. Eight figure grid references for WayPoints (WPs) are listed below for GPS users. The distance between WayPoints is shown after each description.
Limited parking is available at the Sloc SC216733.
- From WP01 Enter gate and go straight ahead towards hill. Follow the steep path upwards 820 metres to
- WP02 Summit of Lhiatte ny Beinee. Continue southwards on hilltop path 1120m to
- WP03 Start descent towards Fleshwick bay 300m to
- WP04 Junction with path. Turn left and follow path along contour. 240m to
- WP05 Corner of boundary wall. Continue along path 230m to
- WP06 Greenway road a few metres from access gate from Surby. Turn left onto greenway uphill 500m to
- WP07 Rocky summit on your right and continue on greenway, first level then gently down hill. 1340m back to start at WP01.
10 metre grid references
- WP01 SC2166 7334
- WP02 SC2126 7272
- WP03 SC2083 7179
- WP04 SC2067 7157
- WP05 SC2086 7143
- WP06 SC2107 7134
- WP07 SC2128 7177