Distance: This is a walk of 8 kilometres, about 5 miles.
Time: Approximately 2 hours.
Much of the route is on tarmac, however this road is little used being closed to through traffic. It follows a public footpath from Glen Maye village to join the Glen Rushen road.
This road follows the Glen Rushen valley before rising up to the ruins of Cross Vein Mine (Snuff the Wind). At the mines the route turns left to follow the road towards Glen Maye before entering Arrassey plantation. Following the forest road, the route descends back to the valley floor before following the Old Glen Rushen road directly back to Glen Maye.
The going is generally good. Participants should be generally fit and wear suitable outdoor footwear.
The route is not waymarked on the ground, but a detailed map (1:15,000 scale) is available from our St John's office or can be downloaded from this page. Eight figure grid references for WayPoints (WPs) are listed below for GPS users. The distance between WayPoints is shown after each description. GPS reception may be variable under the trees.
Parking is available at Glen Maye car park (SC235797, WP01)
- From WP01 Exit car park, turn right and follow main road downhill 210 metres to
- WP02 Public footpath and byway, bear left and follow for 100m to
- WP03 Narrow path, turn left and continue on public footpath, over bridge 400m to
- WP04 C40 Glen Rushen Road, bear right and follow road 1080m to
- WP05 Junction with unsurfaced track. Bear left and continue uphill 1900m to
- WP06 Junction at old mine, turn left and follow D47 Garey Road 810m to
- WP07 Entrance on left. Enter and follow forest road through plantation 850m to
- WP08 Junction. Bear left gently downhill 650m to
- WP09 Old quarry. Turn left downhill at entrance and follow forest track via WP09a 600m back to
- WP10 Glen Rushen Road. Turn right and follow road directly 1200m to
- WP11 Glen Maye Village. Turn left, downhill 140m back to the start at WP01
10 metre grid references
- WP01 - SC2354 7979
- WP02 - SC2367 7963
- WP03 - SC2373 7955
- WP04 - SC2403 7940
- WP05 - SC2462 7853
- WP06 - SC2616 7802
- WP07 - SC2575 7871
- WP08 - SC2502 7865
- WP09 - SC2454 7900
- WP09a - SC2439 7925
- WP10 - SC2436 7895
- WP11 - SC2364 7990