Distance: This is a walk of 5 kilometres, about 3 miles.
Time: Approximately 2 hours.
It involves a gentle climb to Earystane plantation before following its southern boundary westwards. Then passing northwards through the wood and following the eastern boundary, returning to the starting point in Ronague. The going is generally good but may be wet under foot in places. Participants should be generally fit and wear suitable outdoor footwear.
The route is not waymarked on the ground, but a detailed map (1:10,000 scale) is available from our St John's office or can be downloaded from this page. Eight figure grid references for WayPoints (WPs) are listed below for GPS users. The distance between WayPoints is shown after each description.
Limited parking is available on the A27 roadside at Ronague (SC244 725).
Please do not park at WP01 as this is a private lane.
- From WP01 Follow the stony lane 650 metres to
- WP02 Do not enter plantation, turn left and follow stony track 600m to
- WP03 Pass quarry entrance and continue 120m to
- WP04 Enter plantation and follow path 360m to
- WP05 Turn right and follow path upwards 180m to
- WP06 Turn left past forest road (leading back to entrance) and follow grassy path 220m to
- WP07 Do not turn right but continue slightly downhill before resuming gentle climb 560m to
- WP08 Staying within plantation boundary, turn right and follow path 320m to
- WP09 Follow path to the right, still at plantation boundary 310m to
- WP10 Bear left, at junction, along boundary path 700m to
- WP11 Turn right and continue following boundary, divert through trees to join forest road just inside entrance 370m to
- WP12 Exit plantation through kissing gate and retrace your steps back 650m to the main road at WP01.
10 metre grid references
- WP01 SC2442 7242
- WP02 SC2413 7299
- WP03 SC2359 7287
- WP04 SC2352 7286
- WP05 SC2343 7320
- WP06 SC2361 7323
- WP07 SC2346 7339
- WP08 SC2345 7391
- WP09 SC2375 7385
- WP10 SC2369 7359
- WP11 SC2422 7331
- WP12 SC2411 7300