Covid-19 Coronavirus

Freshwater fishing

button_Freshwater fishing information    Button _Fishing Licence Duties

Button _Fishing FAQs    button_Disabled access for anglers

All freshwater anglers must hold an angling licence issued by the Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture and must purchase a licence before they fish anywhere on the Island's inland waters. Licences are available for periods of a season, a week or a day (season only for coarse fish).

Buy now

The Inland Fisheries Regulations 2017 can be found on our Legislation, Policy and Enforcement page.

A Code of Conduct is available for anglers, giving advice and guidance on the regulations. Copies are available in the downloadable documents section of this page, or please contact the Fisheries Directorate using the details provided below.

To fish any of the specified 6 reservoirs for rainbow trout and trout, anglers must hold a Reservoir Licence or a Concessionary Reservoir Licence. The 6 reservoirs are:

  • Clypse
  • Kerrowdhoo
  • Cringle
  • Ballure
  • Sulby
  • West Baldwin

Please note: Repairs to Ballure Reservoir are now complete and we are expecting the reservoir to be filled up and restocked as usual throughout the season which begins on Tuesday 10 March 2020.

An Other Waters Licence is required for fishing any other inland water for salmon, migratory trout, trout, rainbow trout and eels, and a Coarse Fish Licence is required for fishing for coarse fish in any private or commercial coarse fishery or in Eairy Dam.

Eairy Dam and Block Eary are no longer classed as reservoirs and can be fished with an Other Waters Licence. Eairy Dam can be fished for coarse fish with a Coarse Fish Licence.

Environment Directorate

Fisheries Division

Department of Environment Food and Agriculture

Thie Slieau Whallian

Foxdale Road

St John's


Telephone:+44 1624 685857

Email:Send Email

Button _Fisheries Directorate Homepage

Back to top