Proof of Age card
If you have been challenged to provide proof of your age prior to purchasing age restricted goods you may want to apply for an Isle of Man 18+ Proof of Age card.
The cards enable holders to prove they are old enough to purchase cigarettes and tobacco products, alcohol, fireworks, films, solvents, videos and petrol without carrying around other documents such as a passport, which would be costly to replace if lost.
Proof of Age cards cost £10 and are valid for 5 years. They are available to purchase from the Welcome Centre in Douglas Sea Terminal between 9am and 5pm Monday to Saturday.
To obtain a Proof of Age card you will need to complete an application form.
You can post or take your completed application in person to the Welcome Centre with the supporting documentation required:
- A quality colour, passport sized photograph, authorised by your countersignatory - see below
- Your original birth certificate (or a certified copy)
- The fee of £10 in cash, debit card (in person), or a cheque made out to Isle of Man Government
Applications made in person can alternatively be supported by a current photo driving licence, valid passport or EU identity card. Please note, passports, EU identity cards and driving licences cannot be accepted through the post on the advice of the Data Protection Supervisor.
To qualify as a countersignatory you must be:
- Resident on the Isle of Man
- Have no family connection with the applicant (including guardian, foster parent or carer)
- Have known the applicant personally for at least 2 years
- Be over 25 years of age
- Be a professionally qualified person: accountant, advocate, architect, bank or building society officer, civil servant (permanent), chiropodist, college lecturer, coroner, dentist, dispensing chemist/pharmacist, doctor, driving instructor, fire service officer, Justice of the Peace, legal secretary (member or fellow of the Institute of Legal Secretaries), local authority officer or representative, Manx Electricity Authority management, Member of Tynwald, midwife, minister of a recognised religion, nurse, person with honours (eg OBE, MBE, etc), optician, police officer, Post Office officer, Salvation Army officer, schoolteacher, surveyor or valuer, veterinary surgeon, youth worker.
Countersgnatories should sign, date and write the following endorsement on the back of the applicant's photo: I CERTIFY THAT THIS IS A TRUE LIKENESS OF ... (applicant's name).
If you lose your 18+ card please complete the Declaration of Lost or Stolen Proof of Age Card form and take it to the Welcome Centre as soon as possible. The form is available to download on this page or from the Welcome Centre.
Replacement cards cost £10 to cover production and processing costs.
For queries please contact: