Covid-19 Coronavirus

Noise problems

What is noise?

Noise is unwanted sound. Sound is essential to our daily lives, but noise is not. Officers of the Environmental/Public Health Unit investigate investigate a range of noise complaints associated with the generation of noise from the following, sources such as:

  • Commercial- for example, fans, air conditioning
  • Industrial- for example, turbines, steam generators etc
  • Pubs and clubs- for example, music entertainment, disco, karaoke music
  • Construction site noise

Neighbourhood noise such as DIY or barking dogs are dealt with by the Housing Enforcement and Pest Control section of the Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture.

What can we do?

The Public Health Act 1990 contains provision for the control of noise arising from premises. An Environmental Health Officer will make an assessment on whether there are grounds for further investigations. This may involve night time site visits to your premises to witness the alleged disturbance.

Initially you are advised to maintain a written log detailing the time of day, duration and impact the noise disturbance has on the occupation of your home. Download the Noise Investigation Diary form on the right. This will assist an experienced officer in making a proper assessment of the noise.

Under statutory nuisance provisions, a Noise Abatement Notice may be served upon a person responsible for causing an alleged noise nuisance. Once a Notice is served, the person MUST take specific steps to abate the alleged nuisance or face formal proceedings in a Court of Summary Jurisdiction.

Construction site noise

Construction Site Noise is primarily controlled through applying standard hours of work during which normal noisy site activities are permitted. Standard hours of work include:

  • 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday
  • 8am to 2pm Saturday

Planning and noise

The regulation of development activities through the planning system often requires an assessment of noise.

Further information

Should you experience noise causing disturbance to you in your home as a result of construction or development activities (including road works), or if you require any assistance or advice in respect of noise and planning, please contact:

Environmental Health Enquiries

Telephone:+44 1624 685894

Email:Send Email

Back to top