LED Lighting Initiative
Freephone: 0808 1624276
Manx Utilities Home Energy Officer: +44 1624 687643
A new energy efficiency scheme to assist residents with their fuel bills and reduce usage of fossil fuels was announced at Tynwald in December 2017. This includes a series of measures to deliver on a pledge in the Programme for Government and contribute to targets set in the Climate Change Mitigation Strategy.
The LED Lighting Initiative being launched by the Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture (DEFA) and supported by Manx Utilities will assist low income households to reduce their energy usage with provision of LED lights at no cost to eligible households.
Get your lighting right
New LED light bulbs are now as bright as the traditional bulbs they replace. Usefully, they use less than 1/5th as much electricity, and last a lot longer than traditional bulbs.
By changing from traditional light bulbs to new LED bulbs, could save you more than £5 a year per bulb, depending on the type of bulb you replace, and how many hours it is in use. The most useful light bulbs to change to LED would be those used the most. Usually this means the living room, kitchen, hall, and bedroom and the lamps in these rooms.
To be eligible to receive up to 5 LED bulbs, a member of the household must satisfy at least one of the following criteria:
- In receipt of benefits i.e. Income support, Income based job seekers allowance, or Employed person’s allowance
- In receipt of Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance or Incapacity Benefit
- Manx Utilities priority care register
- Recipient of Food Bank resources
- Recipient of Town/Village ‘Coal Fund’ resources at Christmas
- Household has inadequate number of light bulbs, reason cited being unable to afford new light bulbs
- Recipient of financial advice from Office of Fair Trading;
- Occupant aged 75 or more
Where to acquire these LED bulbs
If you meet one or more of the eligibility criteria, please call in to either:
Manx Utilities HQ,
Ballacottier Business Park,
Thie Slieau Whallian,
bringing paperwork to show your eligibility.