LED Lighting Initiative
You could be eligible for 10 free LED lightbulbs.
The LED Lighting Initiative, was launched by the Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture (DEFA) and supported by Manx Utilities, assists eligible households to reduce their energy usage by providing free LED lightbulbs.
LED lights come in a variety of shapes, sizes and fittings and use ten times as less energy than most other bulbs, whilst also last much longer. By switching old bulbs for LED bulbs, you could save up to £5 over £30 a year, on your energy bill, per bulb, depending on the type of bulb you replace, and how many hours it is in use.
Our homes are the largest carbon emissions contributor in the Isle of Man. The Government has committed to reaching net zero carbon emissions by 2050 and to do this we all need to make changes to the way we live.
Get your lighting right
LED light bulbs are as bright as the traditional bulbs. They use less than a fifth of the amount of electricity, last a lot longer and reduce your home emissions.
The first light bulbs to change to LED would be those used the most. This would usually be main light, including lamps, in the living room, kitchen, hall, or bedroom.
To be eligible to receive up to 10 LED bulbs, a member of the household must satisfy at least one of the following criteria:
- In receipt of benefits i.e. Income Support, Income Based Job Seekers Allowance, or Employed Person's Allowance
- In receipt of Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance or Incapacity Benefit
- Manx Utilities priority care register
- In receipt of Food Bank resources
- In receipt of Town/Village 'Coal Fund' resources at Christmas
- The household has an inadequate number of light bulbs, reason cited being unable to afford new light bulbs
- In receipt of financial advice from Office of Fair Trading, Salvation Army or Motiv8
- An occupant aged 75 or over
Where to get your free LED bulbs
If you meet one or more of the eligibility criteria, please bring the relevant paperwork to either:
Manx Utilities HQ,
Ballacottier Business Park,
Douglas,IM99 1PSDEFA HQ,
Thie Slieau Whallian,
Onchan District Commissioners
Isle of Man
Douglas Borough Council
Douglas Town Hall
Douglas, Isle of Man
Freephone: 0808 1624276
Manx Utilities Home Energy Officer: +44 1624 687643