Stand as a Local Candidate

Standing for Election

Members of local authorities can make a real difference to the environment and quality of life in their local areas, particularly the functions and services provided by their local authority. Should you wish to represent your local community and speak up about issues which are important to them, then you may wish to consider standing for election as a Councillor or Commissioner. The Department has produced a leaflet to assist all those interested in standing for election, this can be downloaded from the top right of this page.

For a snapshot of what a typical day in the life of a Councillor or Commissioner entails, please contact the local authority of the area you are intending to stand in. You might also wish to consider attending a public Board meeting to assist in giving you an overview of the workings of local authorities and to give you an idea of what might be expected of you should you become elected.

The Island's local authorities are responsible for carrying out a variety of different services and in 2015 they agreed to take on additional functions, such as, street cleaning, gully emptying, removal of weeds, maintenance of highway verges and hedge trimming. For more information on the services carried out by local authorities, please view the local authorities page.

Your first point of call, should you be interested in becoming a Councillor or Commissioner, would be to contact the local authority of the area you intend on standing in. They can talk you through the nominations process, and provide you with a nomination form along with instructions on how to complete it. 

It is also advisable that you read the Local Elections Legislation booklet (available to download on this page) which sets out copies of the following legislation:

  • Local Elections Act 1986
  • The Representation of the People Act 1995 (as amended in 2015)
  • The Local Election Rules 2003 (as amended in 2008, 2012 and 2020)
  • The Local Election (Absent Voters) Regulations 2008 (as amended in 2012 and 2020)