Covid-19 Coronavirus

Adult's Speech and Language Therapy Service

About Speech and Language Therapists

Speech and language therapy provides treatment, support and care for adults who have difficulties with communication, or with eating, drinking and swallowing.

Speech and language therapists (SLTs) are allied health professionals. They work with family, carers and other professionals, such as dieticians, nurses, occupational therapists and doctors.

We are members of the Royal College of Speech and Language therapy and are registered with the Health Care Professions Council (HCPC). These are statutory bodies that ensure Therapists are professionally accountable.

Where Speech and Language Therapists work

  • Hospital wards, outpatient departments, hospice care
  • Day centres
  • Clients’ homes

These appointments can be offered remotely or face to face.

Who Speech and Language Therapists work with

We work with adults presenting with communication or eating and swallowing problems following neurological impairments and degenerative conditions, including:

What Speech and Language Therapists do

Speech and Language Therapists assess, diagnose and treat adults who have feeding, swallowing or communication impairments. These can range from mild to very severe. We work with individuals, groups or on a consultative basis. We provide training and education for carers and other professionals.

How to find a Speech and Language Therapist

If you think you, or relative needs to see a speech and language therapist ask your GP, district nurse or health visitor for a referral.

If you are a health care professional referral forms can be located within your department. Completed forms can be sent through to the Speech Therapy office email

What happens next

Once we receive your referral we will sort this according to the urgency of the referral before an appointment is made.

A speech and language therapist or assistant may telephone you to find out more about your situation. At this stage ask what will happen next and how long you may have to wait for an appointment.

If you think you have been asked to wait too long for a first appointment or for treatment after the first appointment, contact the speech and language therapy department to ask what has happened.

If you still experience difficulty, contact your GP or Manx Care Advice and Liaison Service (MCALS) to discuss the situation.

The Team

We are a small team of dedicated Speech and Language Therapists working across the island to ensure patients develop their own competencies and achieve their own successes by working in partnership with our therapists. Our vision is to offer a sustainable and resilient service that enables patient’s communication and swallowing potential by using current up to date practice. We also aim to provide the best level of education and training for our colleagues to ensure patient safety and optimise their rehabilitation

Useful contacts

Speech and Language Therapy Department at Nobles Hospital

Telephone: +44 1624 650128



Manx Care Advice and Liaison Service (MCALS) page

Health Care Professions

Health Care Professions Council website


Stroke Association website 

Brain Injury

Headway - The Brain Injury Association website


Parksinon’s Disease Society Isle of Man website

Dementia and Alzheimer's

Dementia UK website  

Alzheimer's Society website

Head and neck cancer

Isle of Man Council of Cancer Charities website

Macmillan Cancer Support website

Learning disabilities

Mencap wesbite for learning disabilities

Mental health

Mind website for Adults' mental health


Stamma - British Stammering Association

Michael Palin Centre for Stammering

Voice disorders

The British Voice Association

Back to top