Speech and Language Therapy Service
Speech and Language Therapy for Children and Young People on the Isle of Man
We are proud to put children and young people at the heart of our service, working alongside parents, carers and other significant people in that child's life. We provide evidence-based advice and interventions in consultation with the child or young person. By delivering training to parents and professionals we also aim to raise the profile of speech, language and communication so that everybody realises the importance of developing these essential life skills in the early years and the impact that this has throughout school, into employment and throughout life.
Children and Young People we work with
Our team may work with children and young people who need support with:
- Understanding language and talking
- Playing and interacting with others
- Using alternative means of communication (signing, symbols or communication aids)
- Swallowing and feeding
Where we work
Our team is based at the Community Health Centre (CHC), Westmoreland Road, Douglas. We work in the location which suits the child/young person and the significant others who support them. This may be:
- Nurseries and primary schools
- Home visits
- Clinics: Douglas (CHC), Dalmeny clinic, Ramsey and Thie Rosien clinic, Port Erin
What we do
- We provide the Island's children with assessment, review and advice or an intervention programme to help each child reach their communication potential.
- We make sure that all children with swallowing and feeding difficulties receive prompt assessment and recommendations.
- We refer children for off-island assessment at specialist clinics where appropriate.
- We work in collaboration with parents and other professionals including teachers, educational psychologists, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, clinical psychologists and teachers of the deaf.
- We deliver training to parents and professionals including Signalong, Hanen and Elklan.
- We operate a Facebook page which provides ideas and advice on a range of topics regarding language, communication and speech.
To see more detailed information about what the Children's Therapy Service can offer your child please also see:
Children's Therapy Services
How to refer
We accept referrals from parents or carers, GP, Health Visitor, School Nurse, teachers or other professionals who may be involved with your child. Our referral forms can be printed from this page.
Central Community Health Centre
Level 2 (Room 213)
+44 1624 642563
Please note: If you require information about the Adult Speech and Language Therapy Service please call +44 1624 650128