Protect your baby
Breast milk is the only natural food designed for your baby
The benefits of breast milk and breastfeeding include:
- breast milk contains all the nutrients the baby needs for around the first 6 months of life and helps to support their immune system
- breast milk containing colostrum, which is full of antibodies that help protect your baby from any infections during initial feeds
- mother’s milk production will adapt to the baby, the more often you feed the more milk you will produce
- the complex composition of breast milk is constantly changing to meet the baby’s nutritional requirements
- breastfeeding can strengthen the bond between you and your baby
Benefits for your baby
There are many benefits of breastfeeding for your baby, such as:
- breast milk significantly contributes to the battle against weight and obesity
- the prebiotic oligosaccharides found naturally in breast milk are special nutrients that can encourage the growth of friendly bacteria in the digestive system
- protection against ear infections
- protection against chest infections and wheezing
- lower risk of diabetes
- less risk of eczema
- protection against diarrhoea, gastroenteritis and tummy upsets
- better mental development
- better mouth development and straighter teeth
- nappies not as smelly
Benefits for the mother
There are many benefits of breastfeeding for the mother, such as:
- lower risk of ovarian cancer
- lower risk of pre-menopausal breast cancer
- stronger bones in later life
- can assist with a faster return to pre-pregnancy figure.
About the Isle of Man Infant Feeding Team
The Isle of Man Infant Feeding team supports parents to make informed decisions about feeding and caring for their babies.
Our aim is to enable parents to breastfeed and safely bottle feed by providing support and information both before and after your baby is born.
- facilitation of Breastfeeding Buddies (a mums’ support/advice group)
- provision of individual support to women who are experiencing challenges with their feeding journey
- management of antenatal groups and parent education sessions
- support with safe bottle feeding
- support with weaning
We have recently been accredited Baby Friendly Stage 1 by UNICEF. This means all of our team members across Maternity, Health Visiting and the Infant Feeding team operate to the same standards for supporting mothers both before and after birth. Find out more about UNICEF Baby Friendly Accreditation.
Breastfeeding support groups
Breastfeeding Buddies Drop-in Clinic
Breast feeding buddies is held at:
St Johns Ambulance HQ,
Every Wednesday 9.30am to 11am
Every Friday (term time) in Andreas School 1pm to 2pm.
For additional breastfeeding advice contact:
+44 1624 811837
La Leche League Isle of Man
La Leche offer a friendly mother-to-mother breastfeeding support group from pregnancy through to weaning.
‘Breastfeeding welcome here’ scheme in the Isle of Man
Look out for the 'Breastfeeding welcome here' logo.