I.O.M. IM4 4RJ
+44 1624 650421 or +44 1624 650000
- Neurology secretaries: tel +44 1624 650898 or +44 1624 650164, VoiceMail out of hours.
- Outpatient appointments: tel +44 1624 650103
- Working hours: Monday – Thursday 8:30am-5pm, Friday 8:30am-4:30pm
The neurology nurse specialist works Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays (excluding bank holidays and annual leave).
The Nurse is often out of the office. If you leave a message she will ring you back as soon as possible however it may be her next working day.
If you require urgent advice and cannot contact the nurse then contact your GP.
- Day: Thursdays
- Time: 8am-3pm
- Location: Either Day Assessment and Treatment Unit (DATU) or Suite D (Medical Out Patients), Nobles
Both Neurologists run general neurology clinics on the Island, if patients require more specialist advice they are referred to the UK.
Neurology Nurse Specialist:
- Days: Mondays & Thursdays
- Time: 1pm-5pm
- Location: Suite D (Medical Out Patients), Nobles
Local Support Groups:
Motor Neurone Disease Association IOM
Phone: +44 1624 801355
MS Society IOM Branch
Phone: +44 7624 452207
Uk groups and their links can be found in our Related Links area.
The Walton Centre in Liverpool is a specialist hospital trust in the UK dedicated to providing comprehensive neurology, neurosurgery, spinal and pain management services. Its specialist staff offers a service in diagnosing and treating illnesses affecting the brain, spine and peripheral nerves and muscles, and in supporting patients suffering from a wide range of long-term neurological conditions.
A consultant neurologist from The Walton Centre visits the Isle of Man weekly, allowing inpatients to be seen and outpatient clinics to be held at Nobles Hospital. When there is no consultant neurologist on island health professionals can contact the on call consultant neurologist at The Walton Centre for advice at any time.
Neurology Nurse Specialist
The Neurology Nurse Specialist is based permanently on island and is able to provide expert assessment of needs, support and advice for adults and their families living with long term progressive neurological conditions.
What the nurse service offers
- Advice, information and education on progressive neurological conditions (particularly Multiple Sclerosis or Motor Neurone Disease) for patients, their families and health professionals
- Support at diagnosis
- Medication review, advice and information
- Liaison and referral to other health professionals including the visiting consultant neurologists
- Home visits (where appropriate)
- Nurse led clinics at Nobles Hospital on Monday and Thursday afternoons (1pm-5pm)
- Specialist assessment and problem solving management of symptoms
- Information and guidance on lifestyle issues
Who can be referred?
Anyone can access the nurse service for information. However to be seen by the nurse specialist you need to be an adult and either have a diagnosis of a progressive neurological condition or be undergoing investigations for one.
Reasons for referral
- You are newly diagnosed
- You or your family/carers need information, support and advice about your condition
- You need advice about medication
- You have complex needs and require specialist support to manage them
Parkinsons Disease Nurse Specialist
There is a Parkinson's Disease Nurse specialist based on the Island, further information about this service can be found on our website.
There is a neurology secretarial support team and also local access to neuro-physiotherapy and neuropsychology.
Many services used by the neurology team are provided on Island such as MRI and EEG. However patients are sometimes required to travel to The Walton Centre to attend subspecialty clinics, a neurosurgical review, for certain special investigations and some treatments.