Dermatology and Plastic Surgery (Skin Service)
The Dermatology and Plastic Surgery Department (the Skin Service) treat a range of differing skin and soft tissue conditions, including chronic skin disorders such as psoriasis, acne, eczema etc and all skin cancers. The Service has links with tertiary plastic surgery & dermatology departments in the UK, along with the Regional Cancer Alliance, to facilitate the management of complex cancers and provide UK standards of care.
The Service was set up in 2018 and is based primarily at Ramsey District Cottage Hospital, with some clinics being held at Noble’s Hospital. This service was preceded by a minimal service with a monthly visiting Dermatologist and Plastic Surgeon.
The Skin Service offers the following:
- Dermatology clinics and minor surgery
- Plastic Surgery Clinics
- Skin cancer surgery and reconstruction
- Plastic Surgery Dressing Clinic
- Isle of Man Burns Service
- Specialist Nurse led Dermatology Clinics – for dermatological drug monitoring
- Specialist Nurse led Skin Cancer Monitoring Clinics
- Local Skin Multi-Disciplinary Team – for the management of complex skin cancers in line with UK standards who engage with the Specialist Skin Multi-Disciplinary Team in the UK
- Reconstructive Services (for cancers and trauma) to support other specialties
Dermatology and Plastic Surgery Team
|Prof Partha Vaiude Clinical Lead for Skin Service||Consultant Plastic Surgeon|
|Prof Phillip Harrison||Consultant Dermatologist|
|Dr Neill Hepburn||Consultant Dermatologist (visiting)|
|Dr Helen Teare||GPwER in Dermatology|
|Dr Hayley Jamieson||Trainee GPwER in Dermatology|
|Dr Roger Dixon||Trainee GPwER in Dermatology|
|Suzie Skelding||Skin Cancer Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) & Service Development Lead|
|Helen Thompson||Dermatology Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS)|
|Skin Service Nurses and Theatre Team|
|Health Care Assistants|
|Secretaries and Administrators|
Skin Service Activities
We have successfully undertaken activities to address the needs of the Island’s residents, as follows:
- Reduction in waiting time – from a four year waiting time down to less than one year, since the project began in August 2019.
- Provision of cancer surgery and reconstruction at both Ramsey Cottage Hospital and Noble’s Hospital. This service provides UK standard of surgical care on the Island.
- Introduction of nurse led clinics to support specialist areas – a bespoke service for patients with complex dermatological conditions.
- Introduction of dressing clinics to support skin cancer services and burns – a critical service to support plastic surgery and burns management on the Island.
- Development of dermatology pathways to optimise patient care and enhance patient support.
- GP education and training with extended role in dermatology – the Skin Service is building robust links with GPs and community services to provide holistic care both at the Skin Centre and also in the community. GPs with extended roles (GPwER) will be trained and will provide support to local services.
- Tele-dermatology service is being fast-tracked to support the service during the COVID-19 crisis and after.
If you are already a patient and have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us through our secretarial team.
+44 1624 650854
+44 1624 651231