Gastroenterology is the field of medicine covering diseases of the digestive system. Gastroenterologists diagnose, treat and manage conditions of the oesophagus, stomach, intestines, liver, pancreas and gallbladder.
Gastroenterology specialists see patients most often for gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GeRD), GI cancer, pancreatic cancer, hepatitis, cirrhosis, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), colitis, Crohn’s disease and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Symptoms of diseases that are caused by digestive problems include constipation, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, heartburn, indigestion, rectal bleeding, weight loss and abdominal pain.
Outpatient clinical services are offered at Noble’s Hospital and Ramsey District Cottage Hospital.
The Endoscopy unit at Noble’s hospital is home to high quality facilities that include three procedure rooms, single sex recovery bays, decontamination facilities and a dedicated patient reception and waiting area. It offers services for gastrointestinal, urological and respiratory investigations with endoscopes (flexible cameras inserted into the body).
Procedures available at the suite include:
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Capsule endoscopy – small bowel investigation
- Cystoscopy ( The Urology service)
- TRUS biopsy ( The Urology service)
- Bronchoscopy (The Respiratory service)
- Bravo capsule – to measure gastrointestinal acid reflux
- Haemorrhoid banding
- Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy insertion (PEG)
- Polypectomy and endoscopic mucosal resection
- Oesophageal and colonic dilation