Manx Emergency Doctor Service
MEDS direct on: +44 1624 650355
Please do not use the 'Contact Us' link at the top of this page in the event that you require medical assistance. The contacts form is for requesting information only.
The Manx Emergency Doctor Service (MEDS) is an ‘out-of-hours’ emergency service that will operate when your doctor’s surgery is closed.
The out-of-hours service is only for emergencies that cannot wait until the next working day.
All patients who would normally attend Accident and Emergency (A&E) for an acute illness or injury should continue to do so. Should A&E tell you that you should see your GP instead and it is NOT urgent then contact your own surgery.
The out-of-hours doctor’s surgery is not a drop-in service and patients should note that they WILL NOT be seen by the duty doctor without an appointment.
MEDS opening times and how to get in contact
|Monday – Friday||6pm to 8am|
|Weekends||24 hour cover|
|Public Holidays||24 hour cover|
You can telephone MEDS direct on: +44 1624 650355
MEDS telephone number is on the answer machine at each GP practice.
If you think that you have a life-threatening emergency you should always call 999. This service operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What will happen when you telephone MEDS
A trained telephonist will record your details to pass to the doctor.
You may be:
- Given telephone advice by the duty Doctor.
- Invited to attend the MEDS out-of- hours centre at an appointed time.
- Visited at home, if considered medically necessary following assessment by the duty Doctor.
- Admitted to hospital if considered medically necessary.
All telephone calls are recorded for security and training purposes.
What will happen when you arrive at MEDS
- You will be registered by the on duty receptionist.
- You will be seen by a fully qualified GP.
- Where possible patients will be seen at MEDS at Noble’s Hospital as more patients can be seen and the waiting time significantly reduced. Home visits are limited only to those deemed medically necessary.
- When seen within MEDS your doctor has access to more equipment and medication that you may need.
- It is your responsibility to organise your own transport to MEDS
Please be aware we have a zero tolerance policy regarding violence towards MEDS staff, whether that be physical or verbal.
Emergency Dental Care
During usual opening hours you should contact your dental practice. There is a duty Dentist on call for all Emergency Dental Care over the weekend between 9am – 11am please call +44 7624 480365.
A dentist can assess your dental requirements and prescribe appropriate antibiotics, painkillers or provide dental treatment if it is required.
Doctors are not qualified to treat dental problems.
There is a rota for Community Pharmacies which covers Sundays and Bank Holidays, usually a limited lunchtime opening. For details of the duty pharmacy nearest to you and their times of opening see the local press or follow the link provided. All pharmacies display in their window the name of the duty pharmacy.
Your local Pharmacist will be able to provide advice on medicines and minor ailments and can provide medicines for many minor illnesses if needed.